Edwina, List:

ET:  Now - we can presumably consider that IF truth, i.e., in this case,
the Reality of X,  depends on an individual existentiality of X, then isn't
this the Scientific Method - or Peirce's pragmatism?

No, according to Peirce's pragmaticism, the Reality of X *does not* depend
on "an individual existentiality of X," or even any discrete collection (no
matter how large) of such individual existentialities.  *That *view--making
Reality coextensive with existence/actuality (2ns), rather than also
encompassing ideas/possibilities (1ns) and generals/habits (3ns)--is
nominalism.

CSP:  I understand pragmatism to be a method of ascertaining the meanings,
not of all ideas, but only of what I call "intellectual concepts," that is
to say, of those upon the structure of which arguments concerning objective
fact may hinge ... Intellectual concepts, however,--the only sign-burdens
that are properly denominated "concepts,"--essentially carry some
implication concerning the general behavior either of some conscious being
or of some inanimate object, and so convey more, not merely than any
feeling, but more, too, than any existential fact, namely, the "*would-acts*"
of habitual behavior; and no agglomeration of actual happenings can ever
completely fill up the meaning of a "would be." But that the *total *meaning
of the predication of an intellectual concept consists in affirming that,
under all conceivable circumstances of a given kind, the subject of the
predication would (or would not) behave in a certain way,--that is, that it
either would, or would not, be true that under given experiential
circumstances (or under a given proportion of them, taken *as they would
occur *in experience) certain facts would exist,--*that *proposition I take
to be the kernel of pragmatism. More simply stated, the whole meaning of an
intellectual predicate is that certain kinds of events would happen, once
in so often, in the course of experience, under certain kinds of
existential circumstances. (EP 2:401-402; 1907)

Peirce's insistence on the "would-be" nature of real generals is a
recurring point of emphasis in Lane's book.  A subjunctive conditional
proposition can be true even though the antecedent never comes to pass.  If
a particular diamond *were *to be rubbed by a knife, then it *would *resist
scratching.  Therefore, it *really *possesses the property of hardness,
even if it never *actually* gets tested in this way (cf. CP 5.457, EP
2:356-357; 1905).

ET:  But- when we say that the Reality of X depends only on our belief in
it - then - heck - we've essentially moved into nominalism - even if that
belief is held by a large population.

Stephen R. seems to be the only List member advocating anything like this
particular definition of Reality, which is directly contrary to
Peirce's--for him, the Reality of X is precisely its *independence *of
anyone's beliefs (or thoughts) *about it*.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt