Gary R., List:

I am shifting this exchange to the new thread where I posted the diagram.

I would not (yet) say that the IO and II are *sufficient *to constitute the
Sign; there may still be some remainder when they are analytically
distinguished from it.  However, I have come to realize that we should *not
*use the term "Representamen" for that leftover part, because Peirce never
did--or even came close to doing so.

I do not understand why you find it peculiar that only one of the three
Interpretants is internal to the Sign.  After all, only one of the two
Objects is internal to the Sign.  Moreover, not *every *Interpretant of a
Sign is "a more developed version of that self-same Sign"; in *some *cases,
the DI is a feeling, and in others, it is an exertion (cf. CP 4.536;
1906).  Even when the DI *is *a Sign, it is a *different *Sign from the one
for which it serves as the Interpretant--i.e., it is external to that
*previous *Sign.  As for the FI, since it is a *would-be* that need
not *actually
*come to pass, it *cannot *be internal to the Sign.

I am speaking somewhat loosely here, because semiosis is a *continuous
*process;
we can break it down into these discrete stages only for the sake of
analysis.  As you may remember, the notion of overlapping was more apparent
in my earlier diagrams, in which I tried to represent the three Quasi-minds
involved in any instance of concrete semiosis--the Utterer, the
Interpreter, and the Commens as their intersection.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt