Matt, list: See my responses below. There's nothing contradictory
about my posts!
 On Fri 03/08/18  7:01 PM , Matt Faunce matthewjohnfau...@gmail.com
sent:
  John, Edwina, Gary F., and List,
 On Aug 2, 2018, at 3:18 PM, John F Sowa  wrote:
 EX 2
 I’m glad to see that you now acknowledge the reality of truth.
 This is a gratuitous insult.  Various subscribers to Peirce-L
 may quibble about the criteria in different circumstances, but
 I'm sure that all of them distinguish T and F.
 EDWINA;  The insult is derived from the wording of 'see that you now
acknowledge the reality of truth'. This phrasing is similar to the
infamous question of :'Have you stopped beating your wife' - which is
a petitio principii or begging the question fallacy where it is
assumed without evidence that the man IS and HAS BEEN beating his
wife. Equally - the above reference to 'now acknowledge the reality
of truth' assumes that I previously denied the reality of
truth.-...this is false.
 I outline,  in your first example - my view that finding or arriving
at the final truth of the meaning of Peirce's work is impossible. As
Peirce himself said, absolute precision is impossible - and this
refers to Peirce's philosophy - which is 'relative to the mind'
rather than to the natural world. Peirce himself referred to this
'invariable vagueness' in 'Issues in Pragmatism, 1905. [See also
Phyllis Chaisson, Peirce's Logic of Vagueness'.  in Commens: digital
companion to C.S.Peirce
 But the second example you provide of my comments doesn't nullify or
contradict the first example. I am saying that absolute or final truth
does exist - and in my first example, I said that such could validly
be reached " within mathematics, pure logic or the natural laws of
physics and chemistry - and even these realms must be open to
questions.". So what CAN we arrive at within the non-scientific
purely intellectual world? Clarity. But never absolute final truth.
 As Peirce noted: "It appears then, that the rule for attaining the
third grade of clearness of apprehension is as follows: Consider what
effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive
the object of our conception to have. Then, our conception of these
effects is the whole of our conception of the object". 5.402. ..and
this clarity is a collective effort.

 Below are Edwina's two seemingly contradictory statements.