John, you wrote, “If Peirce ever said that there are things in the mind, in
thought, or in the phaneron that are not signs, I'd like to see the quotation.”

Peirce to James, 1904: “Percepts are signs for psychology; but they are not so
for phenomenology” (CP 8.300)

On the “ultimate logical interpretant,” MS 318: “It can be proved that the only
mental effect that can be so produced and that is not a sign but is of a
general application is a habit-change; meaning by a habit-change a modification
of a person's tendencies toward action, resulting from previous experiences or
from previous exertions of his will or acts, or from a complexus of both kinds
of cause” (CP 5.476).

But really, there is no need for Peirce to say that any phenomenon is not a
sign, because by defining “sign,” Peirce was differentiating it from other
phenomena. If all phenomena were signs, there would be no difference between
semiotics and phenomenology, even in the sense of one being a branch of the
other. And, even more obviously, the fact that all signs are phenomena (and
especially interesting phenomena for a logician) does not imply that all
phenomena are signs.

Gary f.