Jeff & list,

I happened to stumble across this when I checked the Peirce-list, which I do
intermittently although I do not generally participate in the discussions.
The “letter to Giovanni Vailati” was an embarrassing slip on my part, which
has not been corrected although I have requested the NDPR to do so. The 1907
letter (MS L327) was addressed to Giovanni Papini, not Giovanni Vailati.

In the letter, Peirce states that just “as all signs necessarily have
Immediate Objects, but not all have Real Objects, so every sign has an
emotional interpretant; but a piece of concerted music, for example, has no
other”. He also asserts that “logicians distinguish the Immediate Object of
a sign from its Real Object. I look for an analogous distinction as to the
Interpretant; but I find there are not two, but three Interpretants; namely,
1st, the immediate, or as I call it, the emotional interpretant, involving
(at least) in every case a sense of comprehending the sign, as something
familiar in some sense; 2nd, the Existential Interpretant, or the actual
events which the sign, as sign, may bring about, by however indirect a
process; and 3rd, the Logical Interpretant, which is imperfectly represented
in the definition of the sign.” This is of interest because of the claim
that “emotional interpretant” and “immediate interpretant” are practically
synonyms as well as the evident limitation to three interpretants. I cannot
recall another passage where Peirce would put matters in exactly these
terms. It is of course always difficult to say how much weight one should
place on a single letter; but in recent discussions concerning semiotic
matters, much has also been made of provisional remarks and classifications
found in Peirce’s notebooks.

All best,

Mats