If a sign is amorphous as I feel most are, in other words without a
definite and clear and discernable objective, then it is hit or miss
whether a clear connection or influence can be discerned. It seems to me
that mystery lies at the heart of the semiotic process because of the
nature of our minds. We guess at words and go from there but the words may
have no real connection to whatever the sign may have been. In this sense I
have always assumed that there was a process in firstness by which signs
morphed into words or explicit images or formulae and became the basis for
consideration via a triadic encounter with index and then symbol.

amazon.com/author/stephenrose