Jon Alen,

You wrote:

1

Like Gary, I am having a hard time understanding exactly what Auke is
proposing.  In EGs, the Sheet of Assertion itself is a Sign, and everything
scribed on it is a Sign, including the Spots, Lines of Identity, and Cuts
involved in the Propositions that are primarily being represented.  As such,
the Sheet of Assertion is also a semeiotic sheet.

--

That is not denied, but it does not present a model/framework of the process of
semiosis as a sign process.

And:

2

It further puzzles me that so many researchers still focus on the
three-trichotomy, ten-Sign taxonomy of 1903, since Peirce himself abandoned it
almost immediately--once he recognized the distinctions between the different
Objects and Interpretants of the same Sign.

--

I provided a locus in the Welby correspondence in which the small
classification is part of the Welby classification. Bernard Morand did a great

With the acceptance of predicate logic one does not abandon propositional
logic. Besides that in the order of teaching one starts normally with
propositional logic, adding complexity latter on. Just so, I would advise when
teaching or studying semiotics to start with getting a good grasp of the small
classification.

As in language learning one first state things without finer nuance. As an
example. You could have written:

*       It further puzzles me that so many researchers focus on the
three-trichotomy.

But choose to write:

*       It further puzzles me that so many researchers still focus on the
three-trichotomy.

The bold word in the second sentence is not stating something factual, but adds
a negative judgement.

Best,

Auke van Breemen

Although he eventually viewed all ten trichotomies as corresponding to the
three Universes (Possibles/Existents/Necessitants), rather than the three
Categories (1ns/2ns/3ns), there is still a phaneroscopic aspect to at least
three of them--the Sign itself, its Immediate Object, and its Immediate
Interpretant are all divided according to their Mode of Presentation.  Arguably
those for the Dynamic Object and Dynamic Interpretant, divided according to
their Mode of Being, are also phaneroscopic--since "we can directly observe
[the three modes of being] in elements of whatever is at any time before the
mind in any way" (CP 1.23; 1903).  Of the six correlates, then, only the Final
Interpretant, divided according to its Purpose, is clearly normative.

As for the relation trichotomies, more recently I have highlighted the six
possible combinations of those for the Final Interpretant (Nature of Influence)
and Dynamic Interpretant (Manner of Appeal).  Subjects, Propositions, and
Arguments can all be presented (Suggestive), such that the Dynamic Interpretant
is a Feeling; and it seems to me that it is only as they are presented that
they could be properly studied within Phaneroscopy.  Perhaps a Subject is first
presented to the mind as quality, a Proposition as relation/reaction, and an
Argument as representation/mediation.  Normally, though, a Proposition is urged
(Imperative), attempting to compel some kind of Exertion, whether physical or
psychical; and an Argument is submitted (Indicative), inviting deliberate
acceptance of its conclusion, although it can also be urged.  Peirce's account
of perception seems relevant here.

CSP:  The Immediate Object of all knowledge and all thought is, in the last
analysis, the Percept ... That we are conscious of our Percepts is a theory
that seems to me to be beyond dispute ... a Percept is a Seme, while ... the
Perceptual Judgment ... is a Pheme that is the direct Dynamical Interpretant of
the Percept, and of which the Percept is the Dynamical Object ...

How is it that the Percept, which is a Seme, has for its direct Dynamical
Interpretant the Perceptual Judgment, which is a Pheme? For that is not the
usual way with Semes, certainly ...

Suffice it to say that the perceiver is aware of being compelled to perceive
what he perceives. Now existence means precisely the exercise of compulsion.
Consequently, whatever feature of the percept is brought into relief by some
association and thus attains a logical position like that of the observational
premiss of an explaining Abduction, the attribution of Existence to it in the
Perceptual Judgment is virtually and in an extended sense, a logical Abductive
Inference nearly approximating to necessary inference. (CP 4.539-541; 1906)

A Percept is a Subject, and a Perceptual Judgment is a Proposition.  How can
that which is merely presented have a Dynamic Interpretant that is an Instance
of a Sign, rather than a mere Feeling?  Although Peirce initially called the
Perceptual Judgment "the direct Dynamical Interpretant of the Percept," he went
on to explain that the Perceptual Judgment is really the conclusion of an
almost instantaneous Abductive (or Retroductive) Argument.  In other words, all
three kinds of Signs--Subject, Proposition, and Argument--are involved in
perception.  For example, consider the thought experiment that Gary R. posted
more than a year ago, calling it "The First Thing I See."

GR:  I walk into a room I'm not familiar with, sit down, close my eyes, then
turn my head to the right, open my eyes, and the first thing I see is an object
of a peculiar shape (of course I haven't thought of it in these terms, but it
isn't at all immediately clear to me what it is), then in a moment I recognize
it as a 'vase' (a rheme, not a dicisign), albeit a peculiarly shaped one. In my
later analysis I see that I have had at least two immediate objects set before
my mind, a complex mix of qualisigns (shape, colors, etc.), so, at first not
recognizable as "something," and a rhematic one, as I quickly identify this
"something' to be a vase. And it seems clear enough to me that at that moment
of recognition I did not think a proposition ("That is a vase"), but merely the
rheme, 'vase'.

The initial Percept is a composite of qualities, whose Dynamic Interpretant can
only be a Feeling--perhaps of confusion at first, followed immediately by a
search for an explanation, just as genuine doubt prompts inquiry.  There is
then another vague Feeling, this time of recognition, corresponding (loosely)
to the Proposition, "if that is a vase, then seeing this composite of qualities
would be a matter of course."  What follows is the hypothesis, "that is a vase"
or "I am seeing a vase," as the (plausible, not certain) conclusion of a valid
Retroductive Argument.  However, the Feeling of recognition is only possible
for someone who has had previous Collateral Experience with vases, as well as
acquaintance with the English word "vase"; otherwise, a more deliberate inquiry
would be necessary in order to determine the nature of the object being
perceived and/or the correct word to apply to it.

I have always disputed Gary's contention that what he thought at the moment of
recognition was the rheme, "vase," rather than the proposition, "that is a
vase."  I would now say that there is a sense in which we are both
right--familiarity with the definition of "vase" and experience with actual
vases as Subjects are necessary precursors to reaching the Perceptual Judgment,
"that is a vase" or "I see a vase," as a Proposition that follows from a
Retroductive Argument.  Put in these terms, it is evident that we could
conceivably use EGs to represent perception, and thereby study at least some
aspects of the Phaneron.  However, I suspect that the compulsive aspect of
Experience as Peirce defined that term ultimately differentiates it from what
is merely presented to the mind--that which is true or false vs. that which
merely seems--and might account for the corresponding distinction between the
three Universes of Experience in Semeiotic and the three phenomenological
Categories in Phaneroscopy.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 9:05 AM Auke van Breemen <a.bree...@chello.nl