John, list,

I think everything you’ve said about EGs here, and how they might represent
continuous predicates, is exactly right. What you’ve said about Jon’s MEGs,
though, is true only if we read the lines in those diagrams as Lines of
Identity; and the main modification Jon made was to read the lines NOT as Lines
of Identity but as Lines of Relation. It’s not clear to me how sequences of
MEGs could be used to analyze the thought process into the smallest possible
steps, which was the purpose for which Peirce invented EGs and made his own
modifications to them. The analysis of propositions is only one aspect of EGs
as “moving pictures of thought,” and the rules for permissible transformations
of graphs are the keys for analyzing the process of thought. I’m doubtful that
Jon’s MEGs can improve on Peirce’s EGs in that respect; but then this thread
hasn’t done much to explain how EGs fulfill that purpose either.

I started an “EGs and Phaneroscopy” thread because I wanted to explore how EGs
might be used to iconize the phenomenological categories (in addition to their
main use, which is logical analysis of the thought process). I thought I saw a
few clues in Peirce’s writings from 1906, but haven’t come up with an
explanation of how they can be used for the analysis of experience into its
elements. Nor have I seen anyone else come up with such an explanation. This is
not surprising, since (as Atkins shows in his book) Peirce first arrived at his
three categories by means of logical analysis, and only began to apply them
more broadly in the 1880s, and did not see the need for a separate science of
phenomenology until 1902 — and even then he remained primarily a logician, and
his phenomenology consisted mostly of applying this three categories
heuristically to the analysis of experience/phenomena, working on the
hypothesis that the structure of experience itself must be analogous to the
mathematical structures revealed by his analysis of the logic of relations.

Since I share with Gary R a deep interest in phenomenology/phaneroscopy — and
especially the observational part (as opposed to the analytical part) of it —
I’ll have to take that to another thread, if I come up with anything to say
about it. Propositions appear, they are certainly phenomena, and I suppose they
are the essential format of what we call facts (as Peirce said), but there must
be more to phaneroscopy than the analysis of propositions; so I’ll leave that
to you folks who have contributed to this thread.

Gary f.