John, List:

JFS:  Formal semeiotic is an application of logic to semeiotic.  That
application establishes for phenomenological categories of 1ns, 2ns, 3ns
and their use in analyzing any whatever for the purpose of mapping the
results to logic.

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second.  The Categories are
established by applying formal/mathematical logic to phenomena as we
observe them *in their 1ns*, as they *appear*.  Once we begin studying
phenomena *in their 2ns*, in relation to *ends*, we are engaged in
Normative Science rather than Phenomenology.  *Every *Sign has an end--to
represent something--so applying formal/mathematical logic to Signs is the
first branch of Semeiotic as a generalization of normative logic to
encompass *all *kinds of Signs, not just Symbols; i.e., Speculative
Grammar.  Again, it is *normative *because it studies "what *must be* the
characters of all signs used by a 'scientific' intelligence, that is to
say, by an intelligence capable of learning by experience" (CP 2.227; c.
1897, emphasis in original).

JFS:  But I added that branch in order to emphasize that formal semeiotic,
without the discipline of ethics, is a *prerequisite* for the normative
sciences.

I second Gary R.'s request for specific citations or quotations of passages
where you interpret Peirce as somehow endorsing this notion.  On the
contrary, as far as I can tell, he consistently maintained--at least in his
later years--that self-controlled thinking is a species of conduct, which
is why ethics is a prerequisite for *all three branches* of Logic as
Semeiotic.

JFS:  In the triad of Icon, Index, and Symbol, it's a second.  That implies
it should be grouped with the second item Pheme, not the first item Seme.

It is not a Second, it is an Existent--the divisions of Signs are
ultimately according to the Universes, not the Categories--and Peirce's
"rule of determination" means that an Index can be *either *a Proposition
(Pheme) or a Seme, just not an Argument.

JFS:  Peirce explicitly said that a single line, by itself has a clear
meaning:  "There exists something."  That is a proposition -- a kind of
Pheme.

Fair enough; in the Sign System of EGs, a scribed Line of Identity--or any
other Graph-instance, for that matter--is indeed an Instance of a
Proposition, although I would translate it as "something is identical to
something."  I want you to know that I have come to understand EGs a lot
better over the last few weeks, in no small part due to our (admittedly
sometimes contentious) exchanges during that time, which always prompted me
to do further reading and thinking.  As I have said before, I am not afraid
to make and correct mistakes on-List; I firmly believe that we humans *always
*learn more from one failure than we *ever *could from a multitude of
successes.  As Peirce put it, "in scientific inquiry, as in other
enterprises, the maxim holds, *Nothing hazard, nothing gain*" (EP 2:410;
1907).

JFS:  To confirm this point, note that any logical subject, by itself, is a
monad attached to a line of identity.  If the monad is -car, the logical
subject asserts the proposition "There is a car."

Now you lost me again.  A monad attached to a Line of Identity is *also *an
Instance of a Proposition, *not *a logical subject; and by definition a
logical subject is a *part *of a Proposition, so it cannot by itself *assert
*a Proposition.  Again, *any *Graph-instance is an Instance of a
Proposition--even a Spot whose Pegs are *not *attached to any Lines of
Identity, as Peirce himself explained.

CSP:  Namely, every “Simple Graph”, or “Spot”, that is to say, every graph
that is not composed of other graphs, unless, indeed, it be a “Medad” (i.e.
unless it be, in itself, a complete assertion, such as “rains”, meaning “it
rains”, and as such has no subject), ought to carry at a point of its
periphery to be decided upon by convention, a heavy dot to denote quite
indefinitely, each of its subjects. Thus, “•dies” will naturally mean
“Something dies”, this something being denoted by the dot; and •kills• will
naturally mean “Something kills something”, the left-hand dot denoting the
killer, and the right-hand one the killed ... These heavy dots attached to
spots and indefinitely denoting their different subjects are called the
“pegs” of the spots. (R 670:8-9; 1911 June 9)

On this analysis, "•car" is an Instance of the Proposition, "something is a
car," and its logical subject is *indefinite*; namely, "something."  Since
it is a *subject*, "something" cannot possibly be a *predicate*; so what
kind of Sign is it?  It is a *Seme*.  If we attach a Line of Identity to
the Peg, the result is an Instance of the Proposition, "something is
identical to something that is a car," which at first glance has *two
*indefinite
subjects; namely, "something" and "something."  However, since the
Proposition itself *asserts their identity*, there really is still just *one
*logical subject, represented by two Instances of the same Type.  Again, it
cannot possibly be a *predicate*; so what kind of Sign is it?  Again, it is
a *Seme*.

Now please consider Peirce's alternative analysis of a Proposition that
throws everything possible into the subject.  I realized while thinking
about this example that instead of treating a monadic predicate as the most
basic class of Signs, there is likewise a further analysis of it into two
parts--a *hypostatically abstracted* subject and a *continuous *predicate.
On this analysis, "•car" is an Instance of the Proposition, "something
belongs to the class of car," which has *two *logical subjects; namely,
"something" and "car."  Again, since these are *subjects*, they cannot
possibly be *predicates*; so what kind of Signs are they?  Again, they are
*Semes*--and *this *is the most basic class of Signs, because it *cannot *be
analyzed into anything else; a Seme can *only *be "married" by continuous
predicates to *other *Semes in Propositions.

That is the upshot of my post last night about using different colors for
Spot labels.  There is *always *a continuous predicate *embedded within* a
Spot, but it is ignored (or at least overlooked) in the usual translations
that simply employ the copula.  As both Aristotle and Peirce recognized, in
this context "is" can have *three different meanings*, depending on the
nature of the Dynamic Object of the Spot--"possesses the character of" for
an Abstractive, "is identical to" = "possesses *all *the characters of" for
a Concretive, or "belongs to the class of" = "possesses the *common*
characters of *every*" for a Collective.

In fact, this highlights once more the difference between a Rheme and a
Seme.  "_____ is a car" or even "_____ belongs to the class of car" is a
Rheme, an *incomplete *Proposition because a subject is missing; but "car"
by itself, without the copula or continuous predicate, is a Seme.  I will
ask again, because you have not yet addressed it--if Peirce considered
"Seme" to be *synonymous *with "Rheme," "predicate," "quasi-predicate,"
and/or "term," why on earth did he blatantly violate his own ethics of
terminology by introducing that new word?