Gary R., List:

Are you sure that you are in full agreement with this statement?

JAS:  There are "facts of phenomenology," but as soon as we begin analyzing
these "familiar phenomena"--especially with respect to their "conformity
... to ends which are not immanent within" them--we are engaging in
Normative Science, not Phaneroscopy.

What I quoted from Peirce right above that comment seems to entail that
anything much beyond merely *observing *whatever is or could be present to
the mind and *recognizing *its indecomposable elements properly falls under
Normative Science, rather than Phaneroscopy.  Consider what he likewise
wrote a few weeks and a few paragraphs earlier.

CSP:  But before we can attack any normative science, any science which
proposes to separate the sheep from the goats, it is plain that there must
be a preliminary inquiry which shall justify the attempt to establish such
dualism. This must be a science that does *not *draw any distinction of
good and bad in any sense whatever, but just contemplates phenomena as they
are, simply opens its eyes and describes what it sees. Not what it sees in
the real as distinguished from figment,--not regarding any such
dichotomy,--but simply describing the object, as a phenomenon, and stating
what it finds in all phenomena alike. (CP 5.37, EP 2:143; 1903)

CSP:  The first [division of philosophy] is Phenomenology, which simply
contemplates the Universal Phenomenon, and discerns its ubiquitous
elements, Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness, together perhaps with other
series of categories ... For Phenomenology treats of the universal
Qualities of Phenomena in their immediate phenomenal character, in
themselves as phenomena. It, thus, treats of Phenomena in their Firstness.
(CP 5.121-122, EP 2:196-197; 1903)

Phaneroscopy examines Percepts *in themselves*, as Semes (CP 4.539; 1906)
that have no parts, and employs *precission *to analyze them *mathematically
*into predicates (NEM 3:917; 1904) with three irreducible *valencies*,
which correspond to the Categories.  However, the next step employs *hypostatic
abstraction* to analyze those predicates *logically *into subjects of three
irreducible *natures*, which correspond to the Universes, and "marries"
them with a *continuous *predicate.  In other words, it Retroductively
formulates a Proposition *about* the Phaneron--namely, that *something *stands
in *some relation* to *something else*--which is either true or false  In
fact, this constantly happens *involuntarily*, resulting in our Perceptual
Judgments.

As I see it, this is no longer Phaneroscopy, which deals only with *presented
*appearances (1ns); it is Normative Science, specifically Logic as
Semeiotic, which deals with *urged *Experience (2ns) and teaches us
how to *learn
*from it, such that our *beliefs*--i.e., our *habits of conduct*--will be
stable, rather than confounded by *future *Experience (cf. CP 3.429;
1896).  If I am right about this, then I continue to have a hard time
seeing how Phenomenology could be expanded to include branches *other than*
Phaneroscopy, as you and Andre De Tienne have proposed.