John, List:

While your continued employment of over-the-top rhetoric is regrettable, I
sincerely appreciate you making explicit the assumptions underlying all of
your recent argumentation.  They confirm the fundamental misunderstanding
of Peirce's entire Speculative Grammar that I have been pointing out
repeatedly.

JFS:   1. In every triad, the First represents something in the universe of
possibility.  The Second, in actuality.  The Third, in necessity.

It is not clear what "triad" means in this context.  My best guess that it
is intended to be synonymous with *trichotomy*--i.e., each of the three
divisions of Signs in 1903 (resulting in ten classes) or the ten divisions
of Signs in 1906-1908 (resulting in 66 classes).  If so, then the word
"represents" is incorrect; rather, each correlate and relation *is *a
constituent of either the first Universe of Possibles, the second Universe
of Existents, or the third Universe of Necessitants (EP 2:478-481; 1908).

JFS:  2. Every sign that is a First can refer only to possible objects (in
the universe of Possibility).

It is not clear what "sign that is a First" means in this context.  A
Qualisign (1903) or Mark/Tone/Potisign (1908) is a Sign that is a Possible *in
itself*, while an Abstractive (1908) is a Sign whose *Dynamic Object* is a
Possible--i.e., a Sign that *refers to* something "in the universe of
Possibility."  However, the discussion lately has been primarily about the
nature of a Rheme (1903) or Seme (1906-1908), which is a Sign whose *relation
to its (Final) Interpretant* is a Possible.  I suspect that the following
definition may be causing some confusion.

CSP:  A *Rheme *is a sign which, *for its Interpretant*, is a sign of
qualitative possibility, that is, is *understood *as representing such and
such a kind of possible Object. (CP 2.250, EP 2:292; 1903, bold added)

Note carefully that Peirce *did not* say that a Rheme "can refer only to
possible objects"; again, that would be a statement about the *Object *that
the Sign *denotes*.  Instead, what I quoted here is a statement about the
Sign's *relation *to the *Interpretant *that it *signifies*.  This is
confirmed by Peirce's subsequent definitions of the two classes of Rhematic
Indices, as well as the corresponding examples supplied by the CP editors.

CSP:  ... a Rhematic Indexical Sinsign [*e.g.*, a spontaneous cry] is any
object of direct experience so far as it directs attention to an Object by
which its presence is caused ... a Rhematic Indexical Legisign [*e.g.*, a
demonstrative pronoun] is any general type or law, however established,
which requires each instance of it to be really affected by its Object in
such a manner as merely to draw attention to that Object. (CP 2.256&259, EP
2:294; 1903)

Drawing attention to something actual is *denoting* that Object, which is
the function of an Index (EP 2:306-307; 1904); and a Rheme obviously *can *be
an Index, so it is *false *that a Rheme "can refer only to possible
objects."  Of course, "Seme" is even broader than "Rheme," since Peirce
defined it as "anything which serves for any purpose as a substitute for an
object of which it is, in some sense, a representative or Sign" (CP 4.538;
1906)--so it *also *can be an Index, and thus can refer to *actual *Objects.

JFS:  A First can never, by itself, refer to any particular object in the
universe of actuality.

I assume that "First" is intended to mean "Seme" in this context.  If so,
then there is a sense in which this statement is correct--a Seme can never, *by
itself*, refer to any *particular *object in the universe of actuality.  In
fact, within a given Sign System, I consider the Immediate Object of a Seme
to be whatever it *possibly could* denote in accordance with its
definition, which is its Immediate Interpretant.  However, when a Seme
serves as *the subject of a Proposition*--an Index that denotes an
Object--then it *can *(and often does) refer to a particular object in the
universe of actuality.  That is *precisely *why, in order to understand a
Proposition, an interpreter must have *previous *Collateral Experience
(direct or indirect) with the Dynamic Object of *each and every one* of its
constituent Semes (subjects).

JFS:  But as a possibility, it may be used to describe something actual
that has been independently determined by some Index (which is a Second).

An Index is an Existent according to its relation to its (Dynamic) Object,
but it can be a Necessitant according to the divisions that come *earlier *in
the "order of determination" (e.g., Legisign/Type), and a Possible
according to the divisions that come *later *(e.g., Rheme/Seme).  In other
words, an Index is not *necessarily* a Sinsign/Token and a Proposition; and
since an Index can *never *be an Argument, *any *Index that is not a
Proposition *must *be a Seme.  When I point at my car and say, "That is my
car," both my pointing finger and the demonstrative pronoun are grammatical
and logical *subjects *of the Proposition that I utter--i.e., Indexical
Semes referring to a particular object in the universe of actuality.

JFS:  Points #1 and #2 are definitions in Peirce's system of categories,
which is the foundation of his semeiotic.  If any contradiction is inserted
or implied, the foundation collapses.

As demonstrated above, #1 and #2 as stated are *not *Peirce's definitions;
in fact, *they *contradict basic principles of his Semeiotic.  A Sign that
is a Possible/Existent/Necessitant ("First/Second/Third") according to *one
*trichotomy ("triad") is *not *constrained to *also *being a member of
the *same
*Universe ("Category") in *every *trichotomy ("triad").  A Seme can serve
as a substitute for *any *Dynamic Object, whether a Possible (as an
Abstractive), an Existent (as a Concretive), or a Necessitant (as a
Collective); and it can be related to that Dynamic Object by resemblance
(as an Icon), by a direct connection (as an Index), or by a habit (as a
Symbol).

JFS:  The derivation of the contradiction can be summarized in three points:

Repeating the same claims over and over, making only minor adjustments with
each iteration, seems unlikely to render them more persuasive.  In any
case, it is *false *that a Seme can *only *represent a possibility; it
is *false
*that a grammatical subject *must *refer to something that actually exists;
and it is *false *that a grammatical subject is a Pheme (Proposition),
since "every English sentence that states a proposition must have a
grammatical subject and a grammatical predicate ... A grammatical subject
by itself is not a syntactically correct English sentence" (JFS
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2019-03/msg00116.html>).