Auke, List:

AvB:  I prefer terms like Rhematic in order to underscore that it always is
about sign aspects ...

No, it is not.  Again, the trichtomies do not identify "sign aspects" or
"aspects of signs"; there are *zero* instances of *any *such phrase in the
eight volumes of CP and two volumes of EP.  Peirce proposed the three
trichotomies of 1903 and the ten trichotomies of 1906-1908 as alternative
bases for identifying mutually exclusive *classes *of Signs.  Every
Sign *theoretically
*belongs to *exactly one* of the ten classes of 1903, and would belong
to *exactly
one* of the 66 classes of 1906-1908 if anyone ever managed to sort them all
out.

Every Sign is either a Seme, a Proposition, or an Argument; and every Sign
is either an Icon, an Index, or a Symbol.  In accordance with the "rule of
determination" (EP 2:481; 1908), every Argument is a Symbol, and every
Proposition is either an Index or a Symbol; while a Seme can be an Icon, an
Index, or a Symbol.

AvB:  Although a rheme cannot perform an indexical function ...

I am aware of no warrant for this statement whatsoever from Peirce's
writings.  If a Sign is a Rhematic Index (Indexical Seme), then by
definition it is a Rheme (Seme) that *can* and *does *perform an indexical
function.

AvB:  When we think of a composite sentence like "there is a cow". 'there'
is the replica index and 'a cow' the symbolical, rhematic legisign of the
compound forged by the copula.

In this context, "there" is a pronoun, hence a Rhematic Indexical Legisign;
i.e., a Rheme (Seme) that performs an indexical function.  By itself, it is
certainly not a Dicisign (Proposition), which is the only alternative
classification for an Index.

AvB:  I don't see any harm in distinguishing an index as a possible,
without actual indexical function and an index in actu.

If a Sign is not performing any actual indexical function, how could it be
properly classified as an Index at all?