John, List,

Regarding:
JAS
> Drawing attention to something actual is denoting that Object, which
> is the function of an Index (EP 2:306-307; 1904); and a Rheme
> obviously can be an Index, so it is false that a Rheme "can refer only
> to possible objects."

No.  A rheme is never an index.

I prefer terms like Rhematic in order to underscore that it always is about
sign aspects, and if those terms are used pars pro toto, I always take them as
a short hand for a sign aspect complex that is left indefinite as to its
constituents.

Although a rheme cannot perform an indexical function, we may single out an
indexical, rhematical legisign. When we think of a composite sentence like
"there is a cow". 'there' is the replica index and 'a cow' the symbolical,
rhematic legisign of the compound forged by the copula.

I don't see any harm in distinguishing an index as a possible, without actual
indexical function and an index in actu.

Kind regards,

Auke