Jon, List,

Gary already did a great job in furnishing arguments in favor of keeping in
mind, that talk about signs of course can be done shorthand, but that it is
wise to keep in mind the other relata, if the focus is on one of them.

Jon, I do not know where your idea comes form, i.e. that talk in terms of sign
aspects is giving s special value to the first sign trichotomy. The first
trichotomy only posits the possibility of a sign in actu. In order to have a
description of a sign in action a pick out of all three trichotomies is needed.

What is the sense of making distinctions between different type of signs on the
basis of sign aspects (whether kept hidden or spelled out), if those aspects do
not play a role in the interpretation process? But then we will need them all.

Best,

Auke