Jeff, List:

My purpose (as usual) is to interpret Peirce by attempting to harmonize
each passage that I encounter with his corpus taken as a whole, in
accordance with my systematizing and regularizing tendencies.  In this
case, I am mainly just calling attention to the incongruity of treating the
relations of surrendering and acquiring as triadic, rather than dyadic.
If, in fact, Peirce was incorrect to do so in this particular manuscript,
then that obviously casts doubt on its usefulness for understanding what he
said elsewhere.

I would also like to point out that as far as I can tell, the concept of a
"thoroughly genuine triadic relation" appears *only *in "The Logic of
Mathematics" (c. 1896), and not in any of Peirce's subsequent writings,
with one notable exception.

CSP:  It may here be remarked that Combination is a triadic relation
between the two elements (for every Combination results from successive
couplings) and the result, and is in so far genuine that it cannot be
analyzed into any Combination of dyadic relations. But Combination is not a
thoroughly genuine triadic relation, since the different elements, the
Combinants, are (as far as the mere relation of combination goes) in
precisely the same relation to the result, the Combinate. (EP 2:391; 1906
Jan)

With all of that said, far be it from me to block the way of inquiry--if
you are finding it fruitful to continue down the road that you are
pursuing, by all means keep going.

Thanks,

Jon S.