Jeff, List:

JD:  My strategy for interpreting these passages is to take Peirce at his
word when he refers to the triadic relations that are involved.

Normally I would do likewise, which is why I find them so problematic.

JD:  In order to interpret "μ is the surrender by A of B" and "ν is the
acquisition by A of D" as triadic and not merely dyadic relations, my hunch
is that he is considering these actions as intentional in character.

Maybe, but then how would you restate them as *explicitly *having three
correlates, perhaps by presenting each as an EG?  And would they then
be *genuine
*or *degenerate* triadic relations?

JD:  The case that you cite of an object being sold involves a transfer of
money and a contract. The simpler case of exchange as barter with no
contract is illustrative of how other kinds of relations may be involved
when more general things, such as property laws and legal systems, are
governing the intentional acts.

There is no reference to a contract in the initial proposition, "S sells T
to B for M"; and it is *isomorphic *with the allegedly simpler case, "A
gives up B to C in exchange for D."  In other words, it seems to me that
"sells X for Y" is *logically *the same relation as "gives up X in exchange
for Y."  Do you disagree?  Again, is an essential element somehow omitted
if we analyze the tetradic relation of selling (or bartering) as a
combination of only four triadic relations, two of giving (genuine) and two
of exchanging (degenerate)?

JD:  How many triadic relations are involved in this process of a young
child learning? Well, it appears to grow according to a power law. As such,
it grows into a multitude that exceeds any system of numbers that is
numerable or even any system that is abnumerable.

Of course it does, because *real *semeiosis is *continuous*--it is not
*composed
*of discrete relations (prescinded predicates) and their discrete
correlates (abstracted subjects) as expressed in definite propositions;
those are all *artificial *creations of thought for the purposes of
description and analysis.