Jeff, List:

JD:  In the Prolegomena, Peirce uses the modal tincture of Fur as a means
of expressing intentions in the gamma system. The pattern of ermine (or the
color yellow), is used to represent iconically that the area shaded
expresses an intention on the part of the agent (see Don Roberts, 92-102).

Yes, but the attachment of any EG to the *surface *on which it is scribed
does not constitute an increase of its valency.  "A surrenders B" and "A
acquires D" are *dyadic *relations, whether their EGs appear on Metal
(actuality) or Fur (intention).  A *triadic *relation is one that requires
a Spot with *three *Pegs to represent it.  Again, what third correlate
would you identify in order to treat these relations as triadic?

JD:  The analysis he provides shows that Peirce was thinking of a transfer
involving money and a contract, which means that the transfer was not
simultaneous. Barter, as a form of exchange, is often simultaneous. When it
is, that makes the exchange considerably simpler in character.

A contract is not *essential *to the relation of selling, and my
understanding is that time has no bearing on *logical *relations.  I still
have a hard time seeing how bartering is any *simpler *than selling, other
than the peculiar aspect of money being transferred rather than another
item.

JD:  It does not follow from the simple fact that the analyses involve *entia
rationis* that such creations of the mind may not represent something real.

I did not suggest otherwise.  My point was that the *number *of different
relations that we obtain from analysis is *arbitrary *to some degree,
because we are using something *discrete *to represent something that in
itself is *continuous*.

JD:  Notice how Peirce puts the point. In a tetradic relation, there are at
most 10 triadic relations involved, whereas in a pentadic relation, there
are at most 100 triadic relations involved.

Peirce *asserted *these claims, but he certainly did not *demonstrate *either
of them.  If introducing the *non-essential* element of a contract is
necessary in order to analyze the tetradic relation of selling into six
triadic relations, what prevents us from introducing any number of *additional
*non-essential elements in order to analyze it into more than ten?  On the
other hand, I ask yet again--what *essential *element is omitted by
analyzing selling into *only four* triadic relations, two of giving and two
of exchanging?