Edwina, List:

ET:  A problem that I have with the argument of JAS is that the definition
of the term of 'God' is ambiguous and even, missing.

In this context, I am quite obviously employing Peirce's own
straightforward definition of God as "*the *definable proper name,
signifying *Ens necessarium*: in my belief Really creator of all three
Universes of Experience" (CP 6.452, EP 2:434; 1908).

ET:  ... I disagree with JAS's claim that 'if the entire universe is a
Sign, then what is its Object' - I presume that by 'Object', he refers to
'God'.

It was not a claim, but a question, to which I then suggested an answer.
Peirce affirmed that the entire Universe is a Sign, and that every Sign is
determined by an Object other than itself. The conclusion that *necessarily
*follows is that the entire Universe is determined by an Object other than
itself.  My question was, what is that Object?  It clearly cannot be
anything *within *the Universe, so it must be something that *transcends *the
Universe.  Peirce's definition of God, as quoted above, fits the bill;
especially when we also take into account his emphatic *denials*, in four
different manuscript drafts, that God is anything "immanent in" Nature or
the three Universes.

Of course, anyone is free to *deny *that the entire Universe is determined
by an Object other than itself.  This just logically requires *also *denying
*either *that the Universe is a Sign *or *that every Sign is determined by
an Object other than itself (or both), and thereby deviating from Peirce's
own explicitly stated views.

ET:  "A disembodied spirit, or pure mind, has its being out of time, since
all that it is destined to think is fully in its being at any and every
previous time" 6.490. But Peirce further explains pure mind "as creative of
thought, must, so far as it is manifested in time, appear as having a
character related to the habit-taking capacity". And that means - within
time.

Pure mind is not itself *within* time--that would be a self-contradiction,
since Peirce had just said (as quoted) that pure mind has its being *out of
*time--but it is *manifested *in time, which is not the same thing.

ET:  And - 'the three universes must actually be absolutely necessary
results of a state of utter nothingness'.

I interpret this as part of a *reductio ad absurdum*, which demonstrates
that without *necessary *being (*Ens necessarium*), there would be no being *at
all*.  The only absolutely necessary result of a state of utter nothingness
is ... utter nothingness.  For the long version, see my online paper
<https://tidsskrift.dk/signs/article/view/103187> in *Signs - International
Journal of Semiotics*.