Edwina, List:

ET:  You are missing my point - which is that Peirce stated, explicitly and
frequently, that there is nothing outside of the universe. He's quite
explicit. [6.490, 6.214].

On the contrary, Peirce never--not once--*explicitly *stated that there is
nothing outside the Universe.  I have already mentioned my reading of CP
6.490 (1908) as a *reductio ad absurdum* demonstrating the necessity of *Ens
necessarium*.  As for the other cited passage ...

CSP:  The initial condition, before the universe *existed*, was not a state
of pure abstract being. On the contrary it was a state of just nothing at
all, not even a state of emptiness, for even emptiness is something.
If we are to proceed in a logical and scientific manner, we must, in order
to account for the whole universe, suppose an initial condition in which
the whole universe was *non-existent*, and therefore a state of absolute
nothing ...
We start, then, with nothing, pure zero ... the nothing of not having been
born. There is *no individual thing, no compulsion, outward nor inward, no
law*. It is the germinal nothing, in which the whole universe is involved
or foreshadowed. As such, it is absolutely undefined and unlimited
possibility--boundless possibility. There is *no compulsion and no law*. It
is boundless freedom.
So of *potential *being there was in that initial state no lack. (CP
6.214-217; 1898, bold added)

*Before *the Universe *existed*, nothing *existed*; but Peirce did not (and
I do not) claim that God *exists*, only that God is *real*.  *Before *the
Universe *existed*, there was *real *possibility and *real *potential, but
nothing *actual*, because (again) nothing *existed*.  Now consider what
Peirce wrote a few years later about this "state of absolute nothing."

CSP:  If we are to explain the universe, we must assume that there was in
the beginning a state of things in which there was nothing, no reaction and
no quality, no matter, no consciousness, no space and no time, but just
nothing at all. Not determinately nothing. For that which is determinately
not *A* supposes the being of *A* in some mode. Utter indetermination. But
a symbol alone is indeterminate. Therefore, Nothing, the indeterminate of
the absolute beginning, is a symbol. That is the way in which the beginning
of things can alone be understood. (EP 2:322; 1904)

Again, *before *the Universe *existed*, nothing *existed*; there was only
"utter indetermination," which is a *Symbol*--not an individual *Instance *of
a Symbol, obviously, but a Symbol as a *general*; primordial 3ns, "the
clean blackboard" (CP 6.203; 1898).  Even the EP 2 editors noted, "This
statement brings to mind Peirce's favorite Evangelist: 'In the beginning
was the Word' (John 1:1)" (EP 2:538n19).

On the other hand, Peirce *explicitly* stated that God is "in my belief
Really creator of all three Universes of Experience," and *explicitly *
stated--*four times*--that God is "*not *immanent in the Universes of
Matter, Mind, and Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every content of them
without exception" (emphasis in original).  It is a basic principle of
hermeneutics that one always interprets *obscure *passages in light of *clear
*passages.  Since Peirce *unambiguously *affirmed that God is *real
*and *external
*to the Universe, we *cannot *properly interpret those other passages as
affirming that *nothing *is outside the Universe--especially in the case of
CP 6.490, which is contemporaneous with "A Neglected Argument" and its
manuscript drafts.

ET:  You, on the other hand, reject Peirce's view on this ... you reject
his outline that there is nothing outside of the Universe ... you reject
his outline of the semiosic Sign, where the Object must itself function as
a Sign ...

No, I reject *your *view on this, and I reject *your *outlines as
misinterpretations of Peirce; i.e., I agree that we disagree.

ET:  I am aware that your theism is deep and personal and I am not
interested in intruding on that ...

I sincerely appreciate the sentiment, but my professed theism is no more
relevant to the discussion than your professed atheism.  It is about which
interpretation squares best with *all *of the relevant texts, and as
always, those reading along can decide for themselves.