Edwina, Helmut, List:

ET:  Science requires empirical evidence ...

The truth of this statement depends on how we define "empirical."  In the
popular sense, only the Special Sciences require empirical evidence.
According to Peirce, philosophy--including both Logic as Semeiotic and
Metaphysics--requires empirical evidence, defined as *experiential *evidence
of the kind that is common to anyone and everyone; and even Mathematics
requires empirical evidence, in the sense that it depends upon *observation*.
That is why he classified *all *of these fields as *sciences*.

ET:  Logic can only show us that our beliefs are logical but can't provide
any proof of their pragmatic reality.

Deductive logic shows us what Propositions follow necessarily from other
Propositions.  In that sense, it reveals what *else *we must believe in
accordance with what we *already *believe; i.e., it only provides "proof"
of *other *pragmatic realities that are entailed by what we *already *have
ascertained to be pragmatic realities.

ET:  My understanding of the sign/representamen is that it is A PROCESS OF
MEDIATION, an ACTION  and is not a 'thing' in itself.

There is no need to shout.  Indeed, "a sign is not a real thing" (EP 2:303;
1904); however, Peirce generally used "thought" or "semeiosis" for the
*process*, and "Sign" or "Representamen" for each *constituent *of the
process.  On the other hand, an Argument is a Sign that is *also *a
continuous "inferential process," which we *describe *using definite
Propositions *as if* they were the constituent Signs of that process.  That
is why I reject the charge of "reductionism"--saying that the Universe (or
any other Argument) is a Sign says *nothing whatsoever* about its
complexity, except that is *more *complex than a Proposition, which in turn
is *more *complex than a Seme.

ET:  As such a process of mediation, the sign/representamen only functions
within a semiosic triad of relations, made up of the R-O; the R-R; and the
R-I.

Absolutely not; this treats the *one triadic* relation between the Sign,
Object, and Interpretant as if it were composed of *three dyadic*
relations.  If anything merits the label of "reductionism," this is it.  A
Sign can be *classified *in accordance with its own nature
(Qualisign/Sinsign/Legisign or Tone/Token/Type), that of its relation to
its Dynamic Object (Icon/Index/Symbol), and that of its relation to its
Final Interpretant (Rheme/Dicisign/Argument or Seme/Pheme/Delome); these
result in the ten classes of Peirce's 1903 taxonomy.  However, a Sign does
not *consist *of these three relations; I consider such a notion to reflect
a fundamental misunderstanding of Peirce's entire Speculative Grammar.

ET:  Therefore - reductionism, which, despite JAS's objection to the term,
is the only one I can come up with that describes the concept that 'all
signs are one' ...

So you acknowledge my objection to the term, but persist in continuing to
use it anyway.  That seems rather hypocritical for someone who routinely
accuses me of calling her "unPeircean," even though I have conscientiously
*avoided *using that word myself.  If I claimed to be unable to come up
with any other term to describe your views, would that be justification for
me to start using it now?  Of course not.

ET:  In addition, I object to the 'backwards reasoning' as I see it, where
you proceed from a conclusion to a premise. If we conclude that all
signs/representamens must refer to objects external from themselves [and
this is a debatable conclusion] - can we actually say that this 'proves'
that the Universe, as a sign/representamen actually has an
Object-external-to-itself? I don't think we can do this that easily.

There is nothing "backwards" about reasoning from true premisses to a
necessary conclusion; that is the nature of deductive argumentations in
general, and syllogisms in particular.  In this summary, you conveniently
left out the minor premiss, that the entire Universe is a Sign.  *Denying *that
premiss warrants denying the conclusion; but *given *that additional
premiss, if every Sign is determined by an Object other than itself, then
it *necessarily *follows that the Universe is determined by an Object other
than itself.