Edwina, List,

Just a word for now since, as I just wrote to Jon, I've run out of time
before I set off for my trip abroad. You wrote:

ET: I don't think that the term 'patriarchy' merits the 'we are now
superior to this idea' sneers and condescension one sometimes associates
with the term. I think one should look at the system-of-patriarchy as a
rational means of organizing a population of a particular size and a
particular economic mode.

I don't think the issue here is the origins of patriarchy, which I think
you've nicely outlined in the remainder of your post. Rather, the concern
is what patriarchy has wrought in our times. I obviously can't get into
this now, but will offer for now this quote from a widely cited article on
the topic.
https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/11/america-is-still-a-patriarchy/265428/

In fact—my interpretation of the facts—the United States, like every
society in the world, remains a patriarchy: they are ruled by men. That is
not just because every country <http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm> (except
Rwanda) has a majority-male national parliament, and it is despite the handful
of countries
<http://iwl.rutgers.edu/documents/njwomencount/womenHeadsofStates.pdf> with
women heads of state. It is a systemic characteristic that combines
dynamics at the level of the family, the economy, the culture and the
political arena.

Top political
<http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/fast_facts/levels_of_office/documents/elective.pdf>
 and economic <http://www.catalyst.org/publication/433/women-on-boards> leaders
are the low-hanging fruit of patriarchy statistics. But they probably are
in the end the most important—the telling pattern is that the higher you
look, the maler it gets. If a society really had a stable, female-dominated
power structure for an extended period of time even I would eventually
question whether it was really still a patriarchy.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*