Edwina, List:

"God" and "nature" are *not *interchangeable in that passage ...

CSP:  Shall we not conclude then that the conduct of men is the sole
purpose and sense of thinking, and that if it be asked *why *should the
human stock be continued, the only answer is that that is among the
inscrutable purposes of God or the virtual purposes of nature which for the
present remain secrets to us?
So it would seem. But this conclusion is too vastly far-reaching to be
admitted without further examination. Man seems to himself to have some
glimmer of co-understanding with God, or with Nature. The fact that he has
been able in some degree to predict how Nature will act, to formulate
general "laws" to which future events conform, seems to furnish inductive
proof that man really penetrates in some measure the ideas that govern
creation. Now man cannot believe that creation has not some ideal purpose.
(CP 8.211-212; c. 1905)

... and they are certainly not interchangeable when it comes to immanence.

CSP:  But I had better add that I do *not *mean by God a being merely
"immanent in Nature," but I mean that Being who has created every content
of the world of ideal possibilities, of the world of physical facts, and
the world of all minds, without any exception whatever. (R 843:26)

As previously discussed, based on Peirce's own definition of "immanent,"
this statement entails that Nature is neither *identical *to God nor a *part
*of God.

ET:  I recall Peirce's outline of the emergence of our universe [1.412] and
the description is most clearly an action of self-organization.

No, it is not; and even if it were, Peirce later described that account as
"faulty," as I discuss in my online paper
<https://tidsskrift.dk/signs/article/view/103187>.