Gary R, List,

I recommend adding Emerson's essay "The Poet" to your list of resources on
trinitarianism.

On a personal note, I was once asked to give a few presentations to a Unitarian
Universalist congregation when they were without a pastor. I offered to give
one on a defense of trinitarianism based on Emerson's remarks in "The Poet".
One reason I wanted to give a presentation on that topic is that Emerson,
himself, was a Unitarian minister. He gave up that ministry, in part, because
of his attraction to certain patterns concerning what appears to be first,
second and third in a number of different cultural traditions. As such, I
thought it would be fun to explore his ideas on the topic.

Here is one particularly interesting passage from "The Poet":

For the Universe has three children, born at one time, which reappear under
different names in every system of thought, whether they be called cause,
operation and effect; or, more poetically, Jove, Pluto, Neptune; or,
theologically, the Father, the Spirit and the Son; but which we will call here
the Knower, the Doer and the Sayer. These stand respectively for the love of
truth, for the love of good, and for the love of beauty. These three are equal.
Each is that which he is, essentially, so that he cannot be surmounted or
analyzed, and each of these three has the power of the others latent in him and
his own, patent.

The poet is the sayer, the namer, and represents beauty. He is a sovereign, and
stands on the centre. For the world is not painted or adorned, but is from the
beginning beautiful; and God has not made some beautiful things, but Beauty is
the creator of the universe. Therefore the poet is not any permissive
potentate, but is emperor in his own right.

For better or worse, my offer to give a presentation on that topic was turned
down by the committee.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor