Edwina, List:

ET:  I think that evaluation of interpretations of Peirce is both valid and
necessary- and yes -it has to be asserted that some are more valid and
accurate and truthful than others.

Thanks for acknowledging this.  As an example, in my view it is an invalid
and inaccurate interpretation of Peirce to use "Sign" for "the triad" and
"representamen" for its "median node," rather than treating these terms as
synonyms for the first correlate of the genuine triadic relation of
representing or mediating.  The only alternative consistent with his
writings is to use "sign" for "a Representamen of which some Interpretant
is a cognition of a mind" (CP 2.242, EP 2:291, 1903)--i.e., "a
Representamen with a mental interpretant" (CP 2.274, EP 2:273, 1903)--but
he ultimately decided that "there was no need of this horrid long word"
because "sign" is "a wonderful case of an almost popular use of a very
broad word in almost the exact sense of the scientific definition" (SS 193,
1905).

ET:  Is it enough to prove the veracity of one's interpretation of Peirce
by a massive cloud of quotations lifted from his texts?

Not by itself, but it is certainly an important type of evidence for
supporting or refuting the plausibility of a particular interpretation.  As
I recently stated
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00016.html>,
"'Constant references to the text' are a valid inductive method for testing
hypotheses *about *the text itself, as well as hypotheses about the views
of the author as *expressed *in the text."  For the example above, I
provide three quotes that demonstrate how using "Sign" for "the triad" and
"representamen" for its "median node" is inconsistent with Peirce's careful
definitions of both "sign" and "representamen."  Again
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00127.html>, I do
not consider this to be merely a terminological disagreement, I believe
that it has important conceptual ramifications.

ET:  In my case, for example - I am set up as an 'anti-theorist' - when I
have never said that ... I am defined as 'hostile to theory'!

Where has anyone done this?  Specific examples, please.

On the contrary, with his characteristic generosity of attitude, Gary R.
stated <https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00119.html>,
"Edwina, please *do *proceed with what *you *consider to be the kind of
inquiry that you consider to be most proper, or most important (or however
you conceive of it) on this list and off, your particular 'practical
application' of theory emphasis certainly being valuable and important."
On the other hand, those of us who tend to focus more on theory have very
recently had such efforts summarily dismissed
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00110.html> as "an
irrelevant exercise" and our motives impugned
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00112.html> as
"prefer[ring] the isolation and comfort of what I call 'the seminar
room'."  As Gary R. concluded
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00119.html>, "I
implore you and every list member to simply get on with her or his work and
let others with different interests get on with theirs. That is all."

ET:  Indeed - this misinterpretation even extends to Peirce - where his
pragmatism is considered peripheral to his work in, eg, speculative
grammar!

Where has anyone said this?  Specific examples, please.

On the contrary, Gary R. simply observed
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-05/msg00119.html> that
pragmatism *per se*--as "merely a method of ascertaining the meanings of
hard words and of abstract concepts" (CP 5.464, EP 2:400, 1907)--falls
under the third branch of the normative science of logic as semeiotic,
which is speculative rhetoric or methodeutic.  Consequently, *in itself*
pragmatism is primarily a matter of theory, but Peirce himself immediately
adds, "As to the ulterior and indirect effects of practicing the
pragmatistic method, that is quite another affair" (ibid).  The same is
true of speculative grammar and all the other branches of philosophy.

ET:  What I would appreciate is a less hostile atmosphere - where a
critique, such as mine, when I ask that theories cannot be set up as
isolate from the real world - is not met with a switch of my frankly valid
comment...into the defensive tactic of You Are Hostile To Theory.

This goes both ways.  What I would appreciate is a less hostile atmosphere,
where a focus on theory, such as mine, is not met with the defensive tactic
of "Get Out of the Seminar Room" or "Stop Paraphrasing Peirce."

ET:  So - my claim is that I think we need, not relativism, but- yes,
charity; but also, a look at our own methods of argumentation.

Indeed, as long as that goes for *all *of us.