Jon,

Peirce's writings are a "How-to manual" about
thinking and reasoning.
If you have a how-to manual about cooking,
skiing, or growing flowers,
it's impossible to understand the manual
without doing the work.  If
it's a manual on cooking, you have to buy
the ingredients and follow the
recipes.  If it's about skiing, you
have to buy the equipment, go out on
the slopes, and practice.  If
it's about growig flowers, you have to buy
the seeds, plant them
(indoors or outdoors), and follow the
instructions.

What
Jeff wrote (copy below) is advice about following Peirce's how-to
manual about thinking and reasoning.  Reading a manual about thinking
is
not sufficient.  You have to get the ingredients (food for
thought), get
the utensils (paper, ink, computers, or whatever), and
follow the
recipes for analyzing and solving some significant
problems.

JAS> Observation - What does [Peirce's] text say?
Interpretation - What
does the text mean?  Application - How does the
text work?

No.  You can't learn cooking, skiing, or growing
flowers by analyzing
the texts.  You have to do the much harder work
of cooking food, skiing
down a mountain, or growing actual flowers.
After doing the actual
work, you can understand the manual at a much
deeper level, and you can
then discover fine points that you missed
on the first reading.

It also helps to watch expert cooks,
skiers, and gardners in action.
That is why I recommended Peirce's
_Photometric Researches_ as an
example of Peirce applying his methods
of analysis to a significant
problem.

John
_____________________________

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM
Jeffrey Brian Downard
<jeffrey.down...@nau.edu> wrote:

Jon Schmidt, John Sowa, List,

Jeff D:  If you substitute
"texts" for "facts", as you have suggested,
how
does that constrain the inquiries?

Jon Schmidt:  Again, I
suggest that it constrains the inquiries to
discerning the author's
intended meaning as expressed in the texts
themselves.  At this
stage, we are only seeking to ascertain what
Peirce's actual views
were as communicated by his writings, not
assessing whether they are
correct.

JD:  Readers need to carry out the inquiries
themselves and then check
to see if they arrive at the same result.
Carrying out these inquiries
seems to involve facts that go beyond
the words written on the pages.

Jon S:  I agree, but I see it
as a subsequent step.  First we test our
interpretative hypotheses
against "the words written on the pages" in a
good-faith
effort to make sure that we have properly understood them.
Then we
test them against reality by conducting our own inquiries along
the
same lines.

Jeff D:  I disagree with the suggestion that it
should be a two-step
process.  Let me distinguish the following
questions we can ask as
readers of Peirce's writings:

How
should we interpret a given text?  How should we understand the
methods Peirce is employing in his inquiries?

For my part, I
think that we should try to understand and employ
Peirce's methods at
the same time we are reading the texts.  That is,
(1) and (2) go hand
in hand.  You really can't make much headway on (1)
without
considering how Peirce is using experimental methods to push
inquiry
forward.  Often, the arguments he offers in the texts are really
just
signposts that he is offering readers in the hope that we will be
able to follow his lines of inquiry.

In many cases, I find
that Peirce is moving so fast and covering so much
ground that the
only way to fill in the gaps is to carry out the
inquiries
myself--drawing on his instructions and suggestions offered in
other
texts.  If I am not inquiring myself about the same questions he
is
asking using the same methods he is employing, I often entirely fail
to follow the directions contained in those signposts.  In such cases,
have to start again in order to figure out where I lost the
thread.

In your response, you seem to have fastened on the
following question,
which I think is quite different from (2) above:
Are the results that
Peirce arrived at using those methods correct,
or do we arrive at
different results when using the same methods to
address the same
questions?  Even here, we can ask this question in a
modest fashion by
using this approach as a check on our use of his
methods.  If I arrive
at a different result, then I take it as an
indication that I've
misunderstood or misapplied his methods.

Having said that, I do take myself to be capable of engaging in my
own
inquiries using these methods, and I find it interesting when I
arrive
at a different result.  What is more, one can ask if Peirce is
using the
right methods.  Where we have doubts about his methods or
results that
persist, it is only natural to ask how might we improve
on those methods
in a manner that is consonant with the aim of
seeking the truth about
what is really the case.  Whenever I head
down this track on the List, I
try to clarify what I'm doing by
spelling out where my methods or
results differ from Peirce's.