Steven, List:

SS: Notice the large amount of leeway given in this notion of “justified
true” belief:

There is indeed considerable leeway for "justified" since it can range from
merely plausible for abduction/retroduction to probable for induction to
certain for deduction. Even in the last case, the certainty is only that
the conclusion is true *if *the premisses are true, and any premiss about
that which is actual must ultimately rest on abduction/retroduction and
induction.

However, there is no leeway for "true" since it is a normative ideal. The
subjunctive "would" is intentional and appropriate--a belief corresponding
to a habit that never *is *contradicted by any *actual *experience is not
necessarily true, because "no agglomeration of actual happenings can ever
completely fill up the meaning of a 'would-be'" (CP 5.467, EP 2:402, 1907).

SS: So given that degree of perpetual uncertainty, one in which actions
based upon plausibilities may be *justified *but knowledge never
settled as *true
*(excepting limited synthetic systems), I stand by my statement.

Again, to me this confuses knowledge with certainty. Knowing something does
not require *knowing *that it is true, it only requires that it *really is*
true.

SS: When Peirce appeals to the Dynamical Object and the Final Interpretant,
both of these concepts operate as hypothetical limits on experience.

Here I think we agree, in the sense that the dynamical object would only be
fully known in the final interpretant--again, a normative ideal.

SS: Indeed, if there is a Tychistic cosmos in which pure chance plays a
part, then it is questionable that there can be sure progress toward such a
limiting condition, and perhaps from such as well.

To clarify, Peirce does not claim that the progress of knowledge is
monotonic.

CSP: There is, then, to every question a true answer, a final conclusion,
to which the opinion of every man is constantly gravitating. He may for a
time recede from it, but give him more experience and time for
consideration, and he *will* finally approach it. The individual may not
live to reach the truth; there is a residuum of error in every individual's
opinions. No matter; it remains that there is a definite opinion to which
the mind of man is, on the whole and in the long run, tending. On many
questions the final agreement is already reached, on all it *will* be
reached if time enough is given. The arbitrary will or other individual
peculiarities of a sufficiently large number of minds may postpone the
general agreement in that opinion indefinitely; but it cannot affect what
the character of that opinion *shall be when it is* reached. This final
opinion, then, is independent, not indeed of thought in general, but of all
that is arbitrary and individual in thought; is quite independent of how
you, or I, or any number of men think. (CP 8.12, 1871; underlines added)

CSP: The perversity or ignorance of mankind may make this thing or that to
be held for true, for any number of generations, but it can not affect what
would be the result of sufficient experience and reasoning. And this it is
which is meant by the final settled opinion. (CP 7.336n11, 1873).

He eventually recognizes that the first statement expresses a regulative
hope rather than an exceptionless law (NEM 4:xiii, no date). Based on the
second quote and his later writings, when his scholastic realism was even
more extreme, I believe that he would have sanctioned further revising the
first quote by replacing the two underlined instances of "will" with
"would" and the underlined phrase "shall be when it is" with "would be if
it were to be."

SS: For all his enormous contributions to semiotics and logic, I’ve never
found these two bookends of his thought to be coherent with his Tychism.

Could you elaborate on the alleged discrepancy that you perceive? For one
thing, it is important to notice the *specific *part that objective chance
plays in the cosmos according to Peirce's tychism.

CSP: Taking the phenomena of the universe as a whole, there are no
antecedent conditions on which their marvellous variety can depend; but we
may suppose, either that this variety was introduced in a single infinitely
long passed act of creation, or else that creation, being a gradual
process, and not having begun with one tremendous act, that the variety is
gradually filtering in by gradual creativeness. This is the metaphysical
doctrine of tychism ... (R 319:16&23[16], 1907)

For another thing, keep in mind that Peirce consistently subordinates his
tychism to his overarching synechism.

CSP: I have thus developed as well as I could in a little space the
*synechistic
*philosophy ... and further that it carries along with it the following
doctrines: first, a logical realism of the most pronounced type; second,
objective idealism; third, tychism, with its consequent thorough-going
evolutionism. (CP 6.163, EP 1:333, 1892)

CSP: Permit me further to say that I object to having my metaphysical
system as a whole called Tychism. For although tychism does enter into it,
it only enters as subsidiary to that which is really, as I regard it, the
characteristic of my doctrine, namely, that I chiefly insist upon
continuity ... Accordingly, I like to call my theory Synechism ... (CP
6.202, 1898)

CSP:  We here reach a point at which novel considerations about the
constitution of knowledge and therefore of the constitution of nature burst
in upon the mind with cataclysmal multitude and resistlessness. It is that
synthesis of tychism and of pragmatism for which I long ago proposed the
name, Synechism, to which one thus returns; but this time with stronger
reasons than ever before. (CP 4.584, 1906)

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian