Jack, Helmut, list

        I think one has to be careful of the use of the term 'culture'. If
we consider that it is a 'set of beliefs of normative behaviour',
then, we have to ask: are these beliefs innate or learned?

        Most animals have a set of beliefs about 'How to Live' that are
innate. This 'already set' knowledge base means that they need spend
very little time learning -how to live. It also means that they
cannot change this knowledge.

        The human species, homo sapiens has no innate knowledge. This means
that they must, as Helmut points out, develop a method for
generating, communicating and storing this knowledge, ie. symbolic
language. It also means that they must spend a great deal of time
learning this knowledge - and so, this sets up a societal system
where the older generation must provide sustenance and security - and
learning - for the offspring for many years. This means also, that the
knowledge base, since it is generated and stored outside of the
biological...can be changed. Evolution and adaptation moves into
self-organization!

        My understanding of a  belief is a concept that we hold to be
valid/true. So, I believe that taking zinc supplement tablets is good
for my immune system. It is a 'belief'. The source of this belief is
'fixation of belief by authority'; that is, some assumed expert has
told me this, and I accept his word. I, myself, have no empirical
inductive or scientific knowledge of this. Frankly, that holds true
for a lot of my beliefs - including my atheism. Indeed, I'd say that
many of our beliefs are held without the use of the scientific method
and instead, are generated and held within Peirce's other methods:
tenacity, a priori and authority.

        Edwina
 On Sun 25/07/21  1:00 PM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
 Jack, Edwina, List    Animals do have culture! What divides humans
from animals is not culture, but language and symbolic thinking/
expression/ behavior, I guess. To not have belief is not
psychopathic, but belief totally is. I don´t have any idea, what is
meant by "belief". There is knowing, not knowing, and a scale of more
or less likely-assuming in between. I assume about 98% that there is
God. But what the hell, in which I do not believe, is belief supposed
to be? I think, to believe is something psychopaths do. A psychopath
for examle is a stalker, who believes that she loves him, although
she has said again and again that she doesn´t. This is a typical
example for belief.   Best, Helmut    25. Juli 2021 um 18:40 Uhr
  "JACK ROBERT KELLY CODY"
 wrote:       Edwina, List,   I agree with your quibble -- though I
refrain from saying "societal organization" and other such calques
because of their association with particular modes/epochs of
anthropology/sociology (functionalism and so on). It is true that
"culture" has to do with societal organization and vice vera except
but perhaps the easiest/most general definition of anthropology is
that the anthropologist studies (with) humans. The reason this
definition is problematic, however, is because it raised the question
as to what divides human from animal? To which the anthropologist will
answer "culture" (and so the age-old culture/nature dichotomy rides
again!).        Edwina said: "Hmm. I don't think that there IS such a
thing. To function without a commonality of beliefs/behaviour is
psychopathic."   Yes, it's hard to imagine. Although, in theory, it
does/has existed. The category of homo ferus is about as close as we
can get to the individual in absentia of common beliefs/behaviours
(or the commonality of language as symbolic conditioning/violence, to
reference Robert Marty's previous post).   With regard to Peirce,
perhaps we can think of it in probabilistic terms? The baby
represents pure iconic possibility (or generality) insofar as it is
relatively structure free but will, almost immediately, begin to
assimilate structures in ways which simultaneously open and foreclose
the scope of possible future meaning(s).     Well off the beaten
track, but interesting topic.   Best   Jack