Vinicius, Jack, List:

VR: My ideas are inspired by Peirce but not exactly identical to Peirce's.

I appreciate this acknowledgment, and I would say the same about my own
approach to speculative grammar.

VR: I mean that we must take into account the final interpretant, which is
the sign as it is destined to be interpreted.

I agree that we must take the final interpretant into account, but I
understand it to be how the sign *would be* interpreted under *ideal
*circumstances,
in the ultimate opinion after infinite inquiry by an infinite community.
Any *actual* interpretation of the sign is a *dynamical *interpretant, and
the final interpretant might never *actually *come about. It is "final" in
the sense of a *final cause* (and "normal" in the sense of *normative*),
not the *last *interpretant in a logical or temporal sequence. That said,
your use of "destined" here is consistent with my understanding that "the
Destinate Interpretant" (EP 2:481, 1908) is the *final *interpretant, not
the *immediate *interpretant as some scholars claim, including Tony Jappy.
Just curious, what is your view on this?

VR: A replica is a degenerate legisign that has thirdness for the
representamen but secondness for the final interpretant.

When you say that a replica has "secondness for the final interpretant,"
are you referring to the trichotomy "According to the Purpose of the
Eventual Interpretant" such that for a replica (instance) it is "To produce
action," while for a genuine legisign (type) it is "To produce
self-control" (EP 2:490, 1908)? If so, then it seems to me that a
"holisign" is a gratific type and an "altersign" is a gratific token. Is
that right? If so, then why introduce the new terminology? If not, then
what *does *it mean for a sign to "have" 1ns/2ns/3ns "for the final
interpretant"?

JRKC: I wonder if you would be able to clarify on this notion a little.
Perhaps delineating exactly what you consider a "degenerate legisign" to
be, and then how it alters when the mode is "thirdness for representament"
and "firstness for the final interpretant"?

As Vinicius already explained, "degenerate" is adapted from the concept in
geometry of projecting a figure of a certain dimensionality to produce a
figure of lower dimensionality, like a solid object's shadow on a surface
when a light is shining on it. In this context, what I take him to be
saying is that since a legisign (type) is a necessitant (3rd universe)
according to the mode of apprehension of the sign itself, a *genuine *legisign
(type) is also a necessitant according to the purpose of its final
interpretant (to produce self-control), while a *degenerate *legisign
(type) is instead an existent (2nd universe) or a possible (1st universe)
in that respect (to produce action or gratific). I invite his correction if
I am misunderstanding him.

JRKC: I often read the discourse on this list and wonder if contributors
shouldn't have to furnish practical analogies in order to clarify their use
of terms, because trying to ground some of these concepts is not easy when
everyone seems to be using a similar code with different meanings in
various places.

I understand the difficulty, and I apologize for contributing to it.
Unfortunately, as you can probably tell, I tend to be a very abstract
thinker and honestly have a hard time translating ideas and terminology
that are clear within my own mind into concrete analogies and examples for
effective communication to other minds.

VR: When we look at a painting by Pollock for the first time, we cognize
patterns that produce feelings for their final interpretant.

Again, in my view, those *actual *feelings are by definition a *dynamical*
interpretant. They are only a *final *interpretant if they happen to be the
very same feelings that *would be* produced under *ideal *circumstances. As
we have discussed recently on the List, such conformity of a dynamical
interpretant to the final interpretant is any sincere inquirer's *proper
aim* when interpreting any sign.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian