Gary F., List:

I did not claim "that absolute determinacy is the ideal *summum bonum*," I
said that according to Peirce, concrete reasonableness is the *summum bonum*
and utter determinacy is the state that the universe *would *reach as an
ideal limit in the infinite future, but never actually *will *reach. This
follows from his statement in KS, as quoted during your 10-minute
presentation, that "the first of all logical principles is that the
indeterminate should determine itself as best it may" (EP 2:324). The
corresponding "perfect knowledge" is what an infinite community *would *believe
after infinite inquiry--again, an ideal limit, not an actual achievement.

Of course, the choice of concrete reasonableness as the *summum bonum* is
not at all arbitrary. Peirce describes it as "a state of things that
*reasonably
recommends itself in itself* aside from any ulterior consideration" (CP
5.130, EP 2:201, 1903), "the state of things which is most admirable in
itself regardless of any ulterior reason" (CP 1.611, EP 2:253, 1903), and
"that which is objectively admirable without any ulterior reason" (CP
1.191, EP 2:260, 1903). In summary, "The only desirable object which is
quite satisfactory in itself without any ulterior reason for desiring it,
is the reasonable itself. I do not mean to put this forward as a
demonstration; because, like all demonstrations about such matters, it
would be a mere quibble, a sheaf of fallacies. I maintain simply that it is
an experiential truth" (CP 8.140, EP 2:60, 1901).

As we have discussed in the past, I understand "the perfect sign" that
Peirce describes in EP 2:545n25 (1906) to be the entire universe; "perfect"
in this context is roughly synonymous with "complete," not "flawless." As a
quasi-mind, he says that it "must evidently have, like anything else, its
special qualities of susceptibility to determination"; or as he puts it
elsewhere, "The quasi-mind is itself a sign, a determinable sign" (SS 195,
1906). As such, it is constantly becoming *more *determinate, which is not
at all synonymous with being "increasingly mindless." Again, the ideal
limit of *utter *determinacy will never *actually *be reached--"an
absolutely perfect, rational, and symmetrical system, in which mind is at
last crystallized in the infinitely distant future" (CP 6.33, EP 1:297,
1891).

Best I can tell, Peirce's "reduction to three of the possible sentiments
toward the whole of the universe" is not a trichotomy in accordance with
his three categories. Instead, it is an application of a
mathematical/logical principle that he discusses in several other
writings--any sequence is either elliptical, parabolic, or hyperbolic based
on whether the closed curve representing it in projective geometry
intersects the line representing infinity at zero, one, or two points. I
discuss this in detail, including its implications for time and cosmology,
in sections 6-7 of my "Temporal Synechism" paper. As I said before, our
reasoning/learning *about *the universe is recursive, but the *overall *process
of semiosis is hyperbolic--from the dynamical object through the sign
toward the final interpretant, just like time flows from the past through
the present toward the future.

Thanks,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt