From: peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu <peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu> on
behalf of Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2023 5:19 PM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] A question for pragmatists

Jeff, List:

You and I seem to be more or less on the same page here, along with Martin in
light of his helpful clarification that avoiding "originalism" and "endism"
simply means recognizing that inquiry has no definite beginning or end--just
like the universe in Peirce's cosmology, and consistent with his thoroughgoing
synechism that precludes any singularities within a true continuum such as time
(CP 1.498, c. 1896; CP 6.210, 1898; CP 1.274-275, 1902). Attached are two
relevant diagrams that I included in my "Temporal Synechism" paper--the first
(Figure3.tiff) showing the relations between the three different conic sections
and the line at infinity in projective geometry, and the second (Figure5.tiff)
showing how a hyperbolic continuum is mapped to two parallel lines of infinite
length. As Peirce explains ...

CSP: I may mention that my chief avocation in the last 10 years has been to
develop my cosmology. This theory is that the evolution of the world is
hyperbolic, that is, proceeds from one state of things in the infinite past, to
a different state of things in the infinite future. The state of things in the
infinite past is chaos, tohu bohu, the nothingness of which consists in the
total absence of regularity. The state of things in the infinite future is
death, the nothingness of which consists in the complete triumph of law and
absence of all spontaneity. Between these, we have on our side a state of
things in which there is some absolute spontaneity counter to all law, and some
degree of conformity to law, which is constantly on the increase owing to the
growth of habit. ... As to the part of time on the further side of eternity
which leads back from the infinite future to the infinite past, it evidently
proceeds by contraries. (CP 8.317, 1891)

Thanks,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> /
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 4:10 PM Jeffrey Brian Downard