Gesendet: Freitag, 02. Februar 2024 um 00:07 Uhr
Von: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
An: "Peirce-L" <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Betreff: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Interpretants
Helmut, List:

HR: But why are there more than three interpretants?

There are not more than three interpretants, just multiple ways of naming them in different contexts. The relevant debates among Peirce scholars have to do with whether "the divisions of interpretant into immediate, dynamic, and final are archetypal, all other divisions being relatively synonymous with these categories" (Liszka as quoted by Atkin, https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/peirce-semiotics/). I have come to agree with this "received view."

One alternative that I used to find persuasive is that the emotional/energetic/logical interpretants are orthogonal to the immediate/dynamical/final interpretants (Short), supposedly based on CP 4.536 (1906). However, this passage says only that the actual effect of a sign on an interpreter--its dynamical interpretant--is either a feeling, an exertion, or another sign. As I discuss at length in my Semiotica paper, "Peirce's Evolving Interpretants" (https://philpapers.org/rec/SCHPEI-12), after carefully studying the only texts where Peirce employs the specific terminology of emotional/energetic/logical interpretants (or meanings)--his various manuscript drafts for "Pragmatism" (1907)--it seems clear to me that these are the familiar effects of signs that humans routinely experience as "modifications of consciousness," while the immediate/dynamical/final interpretants are the corresponding effects of signs in general.

Please note, no one is claiming anything about Peirce's intentions. Like other scholars of his thought (including Liszka and Short), I am merely offering a plausible interpretive hypothesis grounded firmly in his own words. As William J. Abraham rightly observes (https://place.asburyseminary.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1421&context=asburyjournal), "Hermeneutics is not so much the study of what an author intended as the study of what the author achieved. If meaning has an equivalence, it is to be located less in intention and more in achievement. What is achieved may be more or less than what the author intended; happily we can be generous and charitable in our initial judgments and trust that intention and achievement may coincide more often than not."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian