Gary,

I believe that the word 'interpretant' is a good label for the way humans and
other living things interpret a sign.

I also believe that his theories of semeiotic and his classification of signs
and sign types are extremely valuable.

But I would ask you, please identify any notable Peirce scholar who said that
Pierce's incomplete theories about how to go beyond the first step are integral
to his semeiotic.

My point is that his inability to complete those theories is a warning sign.
If he couldn't complete them and the best Peirce scholars can't show how to
complete them, I have strong doubts about any  claims that go farther.

I am not saying that anybody should stop talking about any topic that Peirce
chose to write about.  But I am just saying that all Peirce did was to label
the first step.  For mathematics and mathematical logic, Peirce learned how to
go infinitely far.  But for commonsense reasoning, his recommendations could
just go one step at a time.

See that file Section7.pdf, which I circulated a few days ago.

Can anybody say more?