John, List:

JFS: In any case, there is no conflict between Peirce's categories and
different theories about time.

I wrote a lengthy paper on this subject, "Temporal Synechism: A Peircean
Philosophy of Time" (https://rdcu.be/b9xVm).

JFS: Since every hypothesis is stated as a proposition, asking the question
"Why?" about any 3ns would lead to a proposition. That proposition is the
reason that explains why the first and second are related.

This is getting closer to the phaneroscopic essence of 3ns as *mediation*,
and it is fully consistent with one of Peirce's own examples that I quoted
previously.

CSP: Nature herself often supplies the place of the intention of a rational
agent in making a 3ns genuine and not merely accidental; as when a spark,
as third, falling into a barrel of gunpowder, as first, causes an
explosion, as second. But how does nature do this? By virtue of an
intelligible law according to which she acts. (CP 1.366, EP 1:255, 1886-7)

Why did the gunpowder explode? Because a spark ignited it. Indeed, the
third (spark) explains why the first (gunpowder) and second (explosion) are
related, reflecting the *intelligibility *of that relation. Nevertheless,
this answer does not require a verb that names a *triadic *relation; and
although it provides a *reason *for what happened, it does not identify a
rational agent's goal, purpose, or intention behind it. After all, the
explosion might have been entirely accidental, not the result of *any
*goal/purpose/intention
at all.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt