John,

I have been following this exchange between you and Jon Alan with
considerable interest. Thank you both for discussing these most
interesting -- and I think, important matters relating to modals, Delta
graphs, etc. -- in the generally collegial manner in which you have been
proceeding.

You wrote:

And please read what Peirce was writing to William James around that time.
He was talking about a Big Book with some rather complex requirements for
the logic -- far more than alpha graphs, even with modality.  And the
content of the Big Book had a large overlap with L231 of June 1911.  That
letter mentioned his goal of a logic for representing moving motion
pictures.  That's not possible with Alpha graphs.

I would like to suggest that it would be helpful if, instead of suggesting
that, for example, Jon (and, I assume, anyone reading this exchange) should
"read what Peirce was writing to William James around that time," that you
offer exact quotations, something you've not infrequently have suggested is
'best practice' in considering what Peirce actually said, actually had in
mind.

In truth, I haven't seen many exact quotations in your posts in this
exchange (something Jon famously -- or infamously, depending on your
perspective -- can't be accused of) and this has often made it difficult to
discern exactly what your critique of Jon's position is nor, for that
matter, what your's is in certain given cases. I doubt that many, following
this recent exchange, have the time or inclination to hunt for quotations
that are only *very generally* pointed to.

Again, I have found your exchange most interesting and valuable. But on a
listserv such as Peirce-L, it would be more than helpful to have exact
quotations provided in posts to the List, especially in consideration of
the topics which you and Jon have been discussing.

Best,

Gary