From: peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu <peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu> on
behalf of Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, March 7, 2024 at 7:42 PM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Problems in mixing quantifiers with modal logic (was
Delta Existential Graphs
John, List:

It looks like you sent the message quoted below only to me, but I assume that
you intended it for the entire List, so I am replying accordingly.

JFS: In the copy of your note, included below, please note that the five EGs
are BETA graphs. The lines of identity refer to things that Peirce called
circumstances. A circumstance is a THING that is indistinguishable from a
context by McCarthy or a situation by Barwise. In fact, a possible world can
also be called a THING.

If this were true, then there would be no need for all the different formal
systems of modal logic--S1-S5, T, B, P, etc.--because we could just use
first-order predicate logic (FOPL). There would also be no need for "a Delta
part [of EGs] in order to deal with modals," because we could just use Beta
EGs. On the contrary, circumstances as possible states of things (PSTs) are not
themselves "things" that can be denoted by ordinary lines of identity (LoIs),
and propositions are not "properties" that can be attributed to such "things"
by attaching letters to those heavy lines. As I acknowledged when I corrected
your mistranslations of Peirce's modal EGs on R 339:[340r] the first time,
there is an analogy between quantifying predicates (general concepts) over
subjects (indefinite individuals) and quantifying propositions over PSTs, but
they still require different formal systems.

In fact, the usual permissions for transforming LoIs in Beta EGs served as my
starting point for working out the new permissions for transforming lines of
compossibility (LoCs) in my candidate for Delta EGs, but then I had to adjust
them to account for the peculiarities of PSTs vs. individuals and propositions
vs. concepts. There are at least two obvious notational differences--in Beta, a
name must always be attached to at least one LoI, and it can only be attached
to more than one LoI if it denotes a dyadic or triadic relation; while in
Delta, a letter can be unattached to any LoCs when it denotes a proposition
that is true in the actual state of things (AST), and it can be attached to
multiple LoCs for iterated modalities unless system P is being implemented to
preclude them.

JFS: I don't have the page number of R514 in front of me, but I remember that
the following sentence ended in the middle with [end].

Again, why the rush? This is Peirce-L, not Sowa-L nor Schmidt-L, so we should
always take the time and make the effort to look up any passages in Peirce's
writings that we are planning to cite in a post, make sure that they actually
say what we remember them saying, and then include the relevant exact
quotations to support our points. In this case, you are presumably referring to
the following.

CSP: One of my possibly slight improvements, is that I begin by drawing
(preferably with a red pencil), a line all round my sheet at a little distance
from the edge; and in the margin outside the red line, whatever is scribed is
merely asserted to be possible. Thus, if the subject were geometry, I could
write in that margin in the postulates, and any pertinent problems stated in
the form of postulates such as, that “if, on a plane, there be circle with a
ray cutting it, and two points be marked [end] (R 514:[18-19], 1909)

As I keep emphasizing, this notational innovation has nothing to do with modal
logic nor metalanguage. It simply converts the entire sheet--there is only one
sheet here--into a scroll for material implication with the antecedent (e.g.,
postulates) in the margin (outer close) and the consequent (e.g., theorems)
within the red line (inner close). Peirce does not say anything about this in R
L376, and he does not say anything about the "many papers" concept in R 514, so
I am still not seeing any explicit connection between those two manuscripts. As
I have said before, a further improvement is shading the margin instead of
drawing a red line as its inner boundary. This is a more iconic way of
conveying that it is a different surface from the unshaded interior,
representing a universe of possibility--"in the margin ... whatever is scribed
is merely asserted to be possible."

JFS: As for McCarthy's circumstances, please note his article titled "Modality
Si! Modal Logic No!"

I read the article (http://jmc.stanford.edu/articles/modality/modality.pdf),
and it does not say much about circumstances/contexts/situations. McCarthy even
admits in the abstract, "I have no proof that modal logic is inadequate."
Moreover, Heinrich Wansing subsequently wrote a rebuttal entitled "Modality, of
Course! Modal Logic, Si!" (https://www.jstor.org/stable/40180140). He states,
"I think that it would be a bad move to avoid modal logic, in particular
because modal logic is alive and thriving, perhaps more so than ever. It has
become a mature field that can be of great benefit to many areas--including AI
[artificial intelligence] and KR [knowledge representation]."

JFS: The many different axioms for modal logic that had been defined over the
years were constrains on the domain of quantification. But those constraints
were just useless baggage. You could keep them, reject them, or replace them
with any kind of constraints that were relevant to the problem(s) being
considered. That is what Peirce was specifying in L376.

Please provide an exact quotation from R L376 where Peirce specifies what you
describe here, because I am not seeing it. As I have explained previously, the
different modal axioms added to classical propositional logic are hardly
"useless baggage." They correspond to different properties of the binary
alternativeness/accessibility relation (AR) between the AST and PSTs--serial
for D, reflexive for T, symmetric for B, transitive for 4, euclidean for
5--thus formalizing different criteria for a state of things to be possible in
the first place. None of this was worked out during Peirce's lifetime, and
various logicians contributed pieces to the puzzle decades after his death. How
would such complexity be handled in your candidate for Delta EGs? So far, you
have not even been willing/able to show/tell us how you would represent several
very simple modal propositions and then derive others from them.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> /
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 5:47 PM John F Sowa