John, List:

JFS: The first is that all modern versions of modal logic after C. I. Lewis
(including those based on post-1970 methods) are consistent with or
variations of one or more of the versions specified by Lewis.

Indeed, Lewis specified *S1*-*S5* in 1932, of which only *S4* and *S5* are
normal modal logics that include distributive axiom K, which is named for
Kripke. Feys specified *T* in 1937 by subtracting axiom 4 from *S4*, and
Von Wright specified *M* in 1951, which was later proved to be equivalent
to *T*. Lemmon offered simplified specifications for *S1*-*S5 *and *T* in
1957, along with a new system *S0.5* that matches *T* except that instead
of all theorems being necessarily true, only tautologies are necessarily
true. *B* is named for Brouwer and is an alternative to *S4* since both
contain *T* and are contained in *S5*, but neither contains the other.
Pollock specified *P* (my suggested name) in 1967, which matches *S0.5* and
*T* except that iterated modalities are prohibited.

JFS: But the papers of Delta graphs can represent more information about
each world, including the reasons why it happens to be possible, actual,
necessary, or impossible. ... The specifications about papers in L376 would
allow a tree structure of papers.

Again, the only purpose that Peirce states in R L436 for needing to add a
Delta part to EGs is "in order to deal with modals," which he consistently
defines elsewhere as propositions involving possibility or
necessity/certainty. There is no evidence in the 19 extant pages of R L436
(or elsewhere) that he expects Delta EGs to address other kinds of
modality, incorporate any kind of metalanguage, or involve "a tree
structure."

Peirce also does not say nor imply in R L436 that the "many papers" are
unique to Delta. In fact, as described there, they are equally applicable
to Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. We know this because he discusses in some
earlier writings the idea that an individual page represents only a *portion
*of the much larger sheet of assertion or phemic sheet, namely, the part
that "is before the common attention" of the utterer and interpreter at any
given time.

CSP: Two parties are, in our make-believe, feigned to be concerned in the
scribing of graphs; the one called the Graphist, the other the interpreter.
Namely, although the sheet that is actually employed may be quite small, we
make believe that the so-called sheet of assertion is only a particular
region, or area, of an immense surface; namely, the former is that part of
the latter that falls within the field of view of the interpreter. Upon the
great surface the Graphist alone has the power to scribe any graph; while
he scribes what he sees fit. The interpreter, for his part, has the power,
with more or less effort, to move the graph-instances about as he pleases,
so long as he keeps them separate from one another, so that no two shall
touch. In particular, he can move such ones as he likes and as many as he
likes into his field of view, the sheet of assertion; or he can move them
away. We further conceive that this feigned sensible state of things is the
icon or emblem of a mental state of things. Namely, the immense surface
with the graphs scribed upon it is the image of the interpreter’s
experience, while the sheet of assertion, his field of view is the image of
his field of attention. His experience is forced upon him, while he attends
to what he pleases, if he puts forth sufficient effort. (R 280, c. 1905)

CSP: Moreover, the Phemic Sheet iconizes the Universe of Discourse, since
it more immediately represents a field of Thought, or Mental Experience,
which is itself directed to the Universe of Discourse, and considered as a
sign, denotes that Universe. Moreover, it [is because it must be
understood] *as *being directed to that Universe, that it is iconized by
the Phemic Sheet. So, on the principle that logicians call "the *Nota notae*"
that the sign of anything, X, is itself a sign of the very same X, the
Phemic Sheet, in representing the field of attention, represents the
general object of that attention, the Universe of Discourse. This being the
case, the continuity of the Phemic Sheet in those places, where, nothing
being scribed, no *particular *attention is paid, is the most appropriate
Icon possible of the continuity of the Universe of Discourse--where it only
receives *general *attention as that Universe--that is to say of the
continuity in experiential appearance of the Universe, relatively to any
objects represented as belonging to it. (CP 4.561n, 1908)

In the complete absence of any exact quotations from Peirce spelling out
what (if anything) he had in mind for Delta EGs *beyond *dealing with
modals, any proposed candidate going farther than that can only be offered
as a hypothesis, not treated as a definitive specification. I am still
wondering exactly how yours would represent the five modal propositions
that he wrote in his Logic Notebook, if not exactly as he scribed their EGs
on that page (R 339:[340r], 1909 Jan 7).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt