John, List:

CSP: The better exposition of 1903 divided the system into three parts,
distinguished as the Alpha, the Beta, and the Gamma, parts; a division I
shall here adhere to, although I shall now have to add a *Delta *part in
order to deal with modals.

JFS: Peirce is not saying that he is preserving the details of the 1903
logics. He is saying that he is preserving that DIVISION into Alpha
(propositional logic), Beta (predicate logic), and Gamma (something beyond
Alpha and Beta).

Please do not put words in Peirce's mouth. Preserving the division without
also preserving the details of "the better exposition of 1903" would make
no sense. Going straight into a specification for the new Delta part
without saying anything at all about the Alpha, Beta, and Gamma parts,
having just stated the intention to "adhere to" that division, would
likewise make no sense. Again, can you identify even *one sentence* from
the entire extant letter to Risteen that is about EGs but *not *applicable
to those other three parts, i.e., unique to Delta?

JFS: Quine correctly said that modal logic was just a version of
metalanguage about logic.

That is Quine's opinion, apparently one that you share. However, it is by
no means universal, even among logicians today, and there is no basis for
claiming that *Peirce *would agree unless you can provide an exact
quotation to that effect. Again, having made up your own mind, I suspect
that you are reading that position back into his texts, including R L376.

JFS: All the useful applications are based on some version of metalanguage,
along the lines of the December 1911 article.

It is a letter, not an article, and as far as I can tell, it neither states
nor implies anything about the use of metalanguage instead of formal modal
logic. Please provide an exact quotation to support your claim.

JFS: Logics that use the two operators for necessary and possible, have no
practical applications of any kind.

Again, I would caution against making such sweeping and dismissive
pronouncements. After all, there might very well be practical applications
of formal modal logic that have not yet come to your attention or that get
discovered in the future. In any case, according to Peirce, "True science
is distinctively the study of useless things. For the useful things will
get studied without the aid of scientific men" (CP 1.76, c. 1896).

JFS: Peirce has an unusually large percentage of successful revivals. His
Delta graphs are among them. I recognized their importance, because I have
used and worked with similar logics from the late 20th and early 21st C.

No one can say for sure what Peirce had in mind for Delta EGs since he
never spelled it out himself, unless there are more pages of R L376
somewhere out there, waiting to be discovered. I still see no evidence in
the extant text of that letter nor elsewhere (including R 514) to support
your conjecture that it was about adding metalanguage to Beta EGs, given
that his only stated reason for needing "a *Delta *part" at all is "in
order to deal with modals." It seems much more plausible that he was
considering a new notation for representing and reasoning about modal
propositions to replace his unsatisfactory broken cuts (1903) and tinctures
(1906), such as the one that he introduces on R 339:[340r] (1909 Jan 7).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt