Jerry, List:

Your questions as posed are extremely general, and their answers depend
heavily on the particular context of interest.

Peirce *assigns *specific logical content to certain signs in his
Existential Graphs (EGs) and develops the transformation rules for them
accordingly. In all parts, the blank sheet represents the universe of
discourse, graphs scribed on it represent propositions that are asserted as
true in that universe, juxtaposition represents coexistence in that
universe (conjunction), and a scroll (double cut or ring-shaped shaded
area) represents a consequence (material implication) from which a single
cut or shaded area is derived as representing negation (implication of
falsity/absurdity). In the Beta part, heavy lines of identity denote
indefinite individuals and attached names denote general concepts being
attributed to those individuals. In the Gamma part, there are various
additional signs for various purposes, such as the broken cut for possible
falsity (modal logic), the heavy line with dotted lines along both sides
for quantifying predicates (second-order logic), and the dotted oval for
treating a proposition as a subject that fills the blank in a rheme
attached to the oval by a dotted line (metalanguage).

As I keep emphasizing, we cannot know for sure what Peirce had in mind for
the Delta part, other than that it would "deal with modals," unless and
until new manuscript evidence turns up, such as the missing pages of R
L376. My hypothesis is that he was considering a new notation for
representing and reasoning about modal propositions involving possibility
or necessity, such as the one that he introduces in his Logic Notebook (R
339:[340r], 1909 Jan 7). In that case, heavy lines represent
"circumstances" or "times"--more formally, possible states of things
(PSTs)--and attached letters represent propositions that would be true
under those circumstances, at those times, or in those PSTs. The
transformation rules for these "lines of compossibility" (my term) are
different from the ones for the "lines of identity" (Peirce's term) in the
Beta part because of the obvious and fundamental semiotic difference
between describing *things *with names (rhemes/semes) and describing *states
of things* with propositions (dicisigns/phemes).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt