Jon,

Every statement about a thought expresses a possibility.  Every statement about
a claim, a wish, a fear, etc, expresses a possibility.  That is why
metalanguage is a more explicit method for expressing and reasoning about
possibility.   Quine said that in the 1960s, and other logicians have been
developing methods for doing that since the 1970s.  Today, nobody uses the
Lewis-style of modal logic for any practical purpose.

JAS: how would you scribe the graph for "A thinks that B is possibly true"?

I'm sorry that I forgot to answer that question.  I was commenting on other
points, and I forgot to state the translation for the EG you drew. For my
recommended version of metalevel EGs, I would first replace the dotted line of
your EG with a solid line. That would express the sentence "A is thinking the
proposition that there exists a B."  Then I would connect that solid line by a
ligature to the word 'possible'.

Literally, that new EG could be read "A is thinking the possible proposition
that there exists a B."  But it could be read more simply "A thinks it's
possible that there is a B."

Exactly the same procedure can be used to attach any other adjective or phrase,
such as 'necessary', 'impossible', 'probable', 'useful', 'desirable', 'feared',
'doubted', 'lawful', 'illegal' or 'written in Holy Scriptures". That is the
reason why the version of modality that C. I. Lewis specified in 1932 is a dead
end. Anything you can express with it can be expressed  more clearly and
generally with metalanguage.

I believe that Peirce recognized the need for more expressive power.  And
metalanguage adds that power without losing anything that might be expressed
with the 1903 EGs.  Some people dabbled with methods for computing with a
Lewis-style of reasoning, but they have never been used for any practical
applications.  Metalanguage is simpler and more general.

From: "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

John, List:

JFS: In both graphs in your note below, the thin line may be read as "that"'

Yes, of course; that is obvious from the syntax of the English sentences that I
translated into those two graphs--although, as I said in that post, it is a
dotted line, not a thin line.

JFS: But neither of those two sentences can be translated to any version of
modal logic based on the modal logics by C. I. Lewis or later variations of it.

No, of course not; that is obvious from the fact that neither of those two
sentences expresses a modal proposition, i.e., one that involves possibility or
necessity.

JFS: They can also be translated to and from Peirce's Delta graphs

No, this is incorrect; that is obvious from the fact that such propositions
about propositions can already be represented by Gamma EGs using the dotted
oval/line notation that Peirce introduced in 1903 (LF 2/1:166), which is
isomorphic with the thinly drawn oval/line notation that he used in 1898 (RLT
151). In 1911, he did not need a new Delta part of EGs in order to deal with
metalanguage; according to his own explicit statement in R L376, he needed a
new Delta part of EGs in order to deal with modals, due to his dissatisfaction
with the cuts (including broken cuts) of 1903 and the tinctures of 1906.

With that in mind, in your candidate for Delta EGs, how would you scribe the
graph for "A thinks that B is possibly true"? Or will you continue refusing to
provide any examples of how you would represent (and reason about) even very
simple modal propositions, despite my multiple requests? By contrast, I am
happy to show you how I would scribe that graph in my candidate for Delta EGs
based on R 339:[340r] (1909).

[image.png]

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt