From: "Drs.W.T.M. Berendsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:03 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: naming definite individuals

Maybe I am wrong but according to my interpretations the difference between sinsign, legisign and qualisign is perfectly clear after reading the great post of below. There is mentioned there somewhere : the symptom itself is a legisign, a general type of a definite character. The occurrence in a particular case is a sinsign). Well maybe this is also some post that is not to the point since I actually did not hear about sinsign, legisign and qualisign before reading this post today.

But to me, as examples:

Sinsign- index-  particular case - THE name Wilfred connected to me. In this particular case the proper name Wilfred is a sinsign
Legisign- subindex- not a particular case - THE name Wilfred in general without connection to a person. Maybe if it is printed on a coffee mug it is a sinsign for that particular mug (relation to the mug) but a legisign in relation to all persons with the name.

Whatever I think it is most important that Peirce essentially wants to show and being able to express the differences in the "real" world through these expressions.

I would be interested a lot in replies on me stating here that THE "proper name" would be a sinsign on a cup of coffee but a legisign in relation to persons. I am not sure about this also because like I said I did not hear or read about these differentiations in signs before.

Kind regards,

Wilfred