From: Benjamin Udell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Peirce Discussion Forum <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:15:46 -0500
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: naming definite individuals

Jim, list,

Jim wrote:

> A general term has a "range" or "domain." A quantifier has a "scope."  Peirce following DeMorgan called the domain a "universe of discourse."  The variables x,y are general terms; as is the predicate letter J. (My post right before this raises a lot of questions about that predicate letter.)  The schema ExAy(Jy<-->x=y) translates "there is something x such that for every y, y is J if and only if x is identical to y.  I don't know what you mean by "purport." But I think that if either both domains are empty, or if the domain of x is non-empty and the universal quantifier has existential import, the statement is formally true.

I know that logical terminology. Generally one speaks of a _variable_, be it the variable x, a function f, etc., as having a range or domain. If I speak of the "range" of "red" rather than of the range of "something red," "x{x is red}" or "Rx" etc., then it's quite possible that I will be taken to mean "red" as ranging over some portion of the spectrum, from, say, reddish-orange to reddish-purple, as if the value or values of some variable predicate-style general were in question. I don't know where I picked up the use of the word "scope" in order to speak of "singular," "general," etc., maybe some old logic book, but it's a distinction that I need to make, and it also suggests that I'm not discussing range in the context of a mathematical theory. I usually say "scopes like the singular, the general, etc." so that my meaning is clear enough in contradistinction to that of quantifier scope.

The schema ExAy(Jy<-->x=y) is saying that there's some x of which "J" is uniquely true. That's how it fits into the context of my saying that, if it were the case that a general term were a term which purports to be general in the sense of being true of more than one object, then such a schema as ExAy(Jy<-->x=y) would be formally false.

"Purport" is a term encountered often enough in Quine. For instance, in _Methods of Logic_, 4th ed., p. 262
66~~~~
.... A singular term may or may not name an object.  A singular term always _purports_ to name an object, but is powerless to guarantee that the alleged object will be forthcoming, witness 'Cerberus'. ....
~~~~99
and on p. 260
66~~~~
    The division of terms into concrete and abstract is a distinction only in the kinds of objects referred to. The distinction between singular and general terms is more vital from a logical point of view. Thus far I have drawn it only in a vague way:  a term is singular if it purports to name an object (one and only one), and otherwise general.  Note the key word 'purports'; it separates the question off from such questions of fact as the existence of Socrates and Cerberus.  Whether a word purports to name one and only one object is a question of language, and is not contingent on facts of existence.
    In terms of logical structure, what it means to say that the singular term "purports to name one and only one object" is just this:  _The singular term belongs in positions of the kind in which it would also be coherent to use variable 'x', 'y', etc._ (or in ordinary language, pronouns). ....
~~~~99

However, when we say that some term 'J' is true of exactly one thing x, we sometimes describe "J" as a singular term in the sense of a term which may just happen to be singular rather than purporting to be singular. My sense of it is that not everybody is familiar with the acceptation which Quine offers in his textbook definition of "singular" in formal logic.

Best, Ben