Joe, list,

It will be interesting to find out what you thought was wrong about what the editors were saying. Again, thank you for your efforts in this!

So, putting things together, the only numbering by Peirce which we have consists in the ordinal English numbers which match the 10-box triangle at CP 2.264 and which are in the several pages just prior to CP 2.264. The relevant passage is in CP 2.233 through 2.272, and is derived from MS pages 540.2 through 540.23.

From: "Joseph Ransdell" To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 5:49 PM Subject: [peirce-l] representing the ten classes of signs (corrected)
66~~~~~~~~~
qualisigns icons rhemes          (I)
sinsigns indices rhemes          (III)
sinsigns indices dicisigns         (IV)
sinsigns icons rhemes             (II)
legisigns symbols rhemes        (VIII)
legisigns symbols dicents        (IX)
legisigns symbols arguments    (X)
legisigns indices rhemes          (VI)
legisigns indices dicents          (VII)
legisigns icons rhemes             (V)

That gives us Peirce's ordering both in the diagram of the ten-box triangle at CP 2.264, where Peirce inserts the Roman numerals in the boxes, and in the several pages just prior to that where he gives paragraph-long descriptions of each of the ten classes, wherein he does not use Roman numerals but does use ordinal English numbers (first, second, etc.).
~~~~~~~~~99

which gives us:
1st ~      rhematic    iconic      *qualisign*

2nd ~    rhematic  *iconic        sinsign*

3rd ~  *rhematic  indexical   sinsign*
4th ~  *dicent*      indexical  *sinsign*

5th ~    rhematic   *iconic        legisign*

6th ~  *rhematic   indexical   legisign*
7th ~  *dicent       indexical   legisign*

8th ~  *rhematic     symbol*  legisign
9th ~  *dicent         symbol*  legisign
10th ~ *argument* symbolic  legisign

Triangle at MS 540-17. CP 2.264 (I've added asterisks to indicate boldfacing, and tildes to help preserve spacing)

~ Rhematic ~~~ Rhematic ~~ *Rhematic* ~~ *Argument*
~~ Iconic ~~~~ *Iconic* ~~~ *Symbol* ~~~~ Symbolic
*Qualisign* ~ *Legisign* ~~~ Legisign ~~~~~ Legisign

~~~~~~ Rhematic ~ *Rhematic* ~~~ *Dicent*
~~~~~~ *Iconic* ~ *Indexical* ~~~ *Symbol*
~~~~~~ *Sinsign* ~ *Legisign* ~~~~ Legisign

~~~~~~~~~ *Rhematic* ~~~ *Dicent*
~~~~~~~~~ *Indexical* ~~ *Indexical*
~~~~~~~~~~ *Sinsign* ~~~ *Legisign*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *Dicent*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Indexical
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *Sinsign*

One other note. As Steven Ericsson Zenith rightly pointed out, in the triangle of boxes in MS799.2 one doesn't see earlier numbers under _all_ the numbers despite how I described it. I should have said that I saw that as the pattern. What I actually seem to discern is:

CURRENT:

1 ~ 5 ~ 8 ~ 10
~ 2 ~ 6 ~ 9
~~ 3 ~ 7
~~~ 4

EARLIER:

~~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4
~ 5
~~ 8

The mark under the "2" is arguable not a "5"; it does seem very much like an earlier mark, and is consistent with a "5." One might also argue about the appearances of the supposed earlier "2" & "3". About the earlier "8" there is no doubt, and the earlier "4" seems pretty sure.

Best, Ben Udell