Michael said:

[MD:]  Haven't had the pleasure of Calvino's "Cosmicomics," [but] I like the
antidotal sound of it [cure for hyper-seriousness]. The
asymptotic/singularities of beginnings and endings in continuous processes
challenge all systems that allow for them, and do make for pretzelian
thought-processes. But I note that the final chapter of David Deutsch's very
creative "The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes and Its
Implications" is titled "The Ends of the Universe," which posits an
asymptotic "end" of the universe(s) [actually, a sort of coming together of
all the infinite parallel quantum universes a la Wheeler and co], which in
part prompted the parallel question on the denouement in Peirce's cosmology.
But, you're right, Joe: I think I'll retreat to Calvino. I never really
recovered from trying to conceptualize the cosmological stew that "preceded"
the sporting emergence of Firstness. <>

RESPONSE:

[JR:]  Well, I'm not sure what the moral of it is supposed to be, Michael. I
put all that down rather impulsively, not thinking much about what might
justify it or what it might imply. In retrospect I think that what I was
doing was trying to re-express what I thought Peirce was expressing in the
following passage from the MS called "Answers to Questions Concerning my
Belief in God" which Harshorne and Weiss published in the Collected Papers,
Vol. 6:

==============QUOTE PEIRCE====================

508. "Do you believe Him to be omniscient?" Yes, in a vague sense. Of
course, God's knowledge is something so utterly unlike our own that it is
more like willing than knowing. I do not see why we may not assume that He
refrains from knowing much. For this thought is creative. But perhaps the
wisest way is to say that we do not know how God's thought is performed and
that [it] is simply vain to attempt it. We cannot so much as frame any
notion of what the phrase "the performance of God's mind" means. Not the
faintest! The question is gabble.

509. "Do you believe Him to be Omnipotent?" Undoubtedly He is so, vaguely
speaking; but there are many questions that might be put of no profit except
to the student of logic. Some of the scholastic commentaries consider them.
Leibnitz thought that this was the best of "all possible" worlds. That seems
to imply some limitation upon Omnipotence. Unless the others were created
too, it would seem that, all things considered, this universe was the only
possible one. Perhaps others do exist. But we only wildly gabble about such
things.

==========END QUOTE=========================

[JR:]  But "wildly gabbling" doesn't necessarily mean "utterly senseless",
as I was exaggeratedly construing it, but might only mean that what we are
saying or thinking becomes seriously and irremediably incoherent at times to
a degree which tends toward being utterly so even though it can always be
presumed to have coherence to some degree even if only imperceptibly so at
that time. And we may very well have as much coherence in our lives as we
require -- or even more than we require, developed out of fear of not having
enough -- which can send us on a path toward a precipice of disaster:
unintended self-destruction by fanaticism. As animals go, we are
extraordinarily proficient by nature at multi-tasking, though the various
other species of animals exhibit many different degrees and types of
multi-tasking behavior as well, but none apparently equal to even a very
simply developed human being. And that is the same thing as the ability to
cope with a correspondingly complex incoherence in experience with which the
multi-tasking process is as if designed to cope. In other words, incoherence
is a part of what we need because it is what we are equipped to cope with to
an astonishingly high degree at times.

Now, Peirce was a profoundly self-confident person in spite of his
experience of the seeming radical senselessness of certain aspects of his
life and the course of his experience, where nothing ever seemed to go right
or as he could reasonably have expected it to go (or so it must have seemed,
again and again), and so I can quite easily imagine there being more than a
few occasions when he found himself laughing wildly while rolling around on
the floor after yet another of God's practical jokes on him. That is how he
impresses me as a person: I can imagine him capable of that (or its
equivalent, of course). I do not picture him as an unhappy man.

And that reminds me that I want to reassure all devotees of Italo Calvino
that when I say he must have been insane, that is meant in the sense that,
by ordinary human standards, he can only appear that way, as any authentic
genius will appear. Geniuses are not to be confused with people with "very
high IQs". And it is always possible that the wildest of gabble conveys as
much of the truth of the matter in question as our lot to be able to
discover.

So I don't know whether you should abandon your attempt to conceptualize the
cosmic stew or not. But thanks for the thoughtful response to a rather
impulsive post, Michael. Maybe I should add that I find it difficult to
believe that anyone has actually been able to read all of the way through
Calvino's practical joke of a book! So I wouldn't count on it as a solution
to anything. But it's a good read as far as you can stand it nonetheless!

Joe Ransdell