From: Bernard Morand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Peirce Discussion Forum <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2006 5:48:29 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: The "composite photograph" metaphor

Ben, Gary, Joe, Charles and list

I followed the discussion about verification with interest and while
I don't think that the question of verification calls for a fourth category,
some arguments from Ben deserve to be  studied carefully.  As an
example I will take  a passage out of the last reply from Joe, a short
extract in order to limit the subject to one point that I think to be important.

Joe writes :

"Scientific verification is really just a
sophistication about ways of checking up on something
about which one has some doubts, driven by an
unusually strong concern for establishing something as
"definitively" as possible, which is of course nothing
more than an ideal of checking up on something so
thoroughly that no real question about it will ever be
raised again.    But it is no different in principle
from what we do in ordinary life when we try to "make
sure" of something that we think might be so but about
which we are not certain enough to satisfy us."

It seems to me that the Peirce's quote given by Ben makes clear that scientific "verification" is NOT the same as checking something in ordinary life as Joe puts it. I reproduce a fragment of the quote :

Mr. George Henry Lewes in his work on Aristotle(1)
seems to me to have come pretty near to stating the
true cause of the success of modern science
when he
has said that it was *_verification_*. I should
express it in this way: modern students of science
have been successful because they have spent their
lives not in their libraries and museums but in their
laboratories and in the field; and while in their
laboratories and in the field they have been not
gazing on nature with a vacant eye, that is, in
passive perception unassisted by thought, but have
been *_observing_* -- that is, perceiving by the aid
of analysis -- and testing suggestions of theories.
The cause of their success has been that the motive
which has carried them to the laboratory and the field
has been a craving to know how things really were, and
an interest in finding out whether or not general
propositions actually held good -- which has
overbalanced all prejudice, all vanity, and all
passion. (CP 1.34)

The main differences are:
- the originator of the verification: according to Joe,

an individual being doubting of something ; according to Peirce a group of students motivated by a desire to know. Doubt isn't an essential part of the verification motive in science. - the goal of the verification: the fact that no real question will be raised again on the subject according to Joe ; wether or not a GENERAL proposition ACTUALLY holds good with regards to a PARTICULAR fact according to Peirce - the means of the verification: our own satisfaction (I suppose) according to Joe ; observation ("perception by the aid of analysis") for Peirce. In scientific "verification" we take advantage of theories to be tested. Is there the same, or some equivalent in ordinary life conduct? I don't know but perhaps psychologists could answer. However I don't see why it would be required that the same goes for ordinary life conduct and scientific activity.
In fact "verification" is the word borrowed by
Peirce from G.H. Lewes here but I think that we would better say today "experimental method" of which the strict verification is but one little stage. As already said it requires what Peirce calls a general proposition and what we would call today a "model" or a theory and what is ascertained with the help of the method is an actuality. Hence the verification step needs reiterations on several cases in order to calculate the probability that they fall under the general law. In turn these reiterations call for protocol definitions as well as tools and instruments for observing. A large part of the progress of science is owed to the improvement of these instruments. The word "experimental" is itself subject to a large spectrum of interpretations from empirism to a mere mondane consequence of some theory. However we dispose of a more precise equivalent, at least on this list: the pragmatist method So it seems to me that it is only by restricting the subject to the verification step that it can appear as a matter of ordinary life. I wonder whether this very restriction is not also the mistake of Popper when he ends with turning verification into falsification. But Charles is certainly better informed than me on this.

Regards

Bernard