Doug,
I agree with you about this: I think Karl's definition of crisis is
better than the "permanent crisis" one.  One big problem with
all crisis theory, of either sort, is the presumption that crises
actually can mean the fall of capitalism. But crises, as we
academics are wont  to say, may be necessary to the system's
downfall, but they're hardly sufficient: more important is the
existence of a movement organized to replace the system with
something better.

For some reason, your last message was  to me personally, rather
than to pen-l as a whole. I'll send this  one (and yours) to
pen-l.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   BITNET: jndf@lmuacad    INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., Los Angeles, CA 90045-2699 USA
310/338-2948 (off); 310/202-6546 (hm); FAX: 310/338-1950