Dear Fikret and Robin,

        I don't know if you were implying that I was debating , pissing and
moaning about the elections... it seemed so.  I think it is only a natural
question to wonder what will happen to our own Universities, government funded
centers, agencies and employees now that there is a change in many states and in
DC.  How much of a change we will see is an issue, but we cannot deny that there
IS a change, at least on certain issues with which we SHOULD be concerned.
That's why people are talking about the elections.
        For instance, as a direct result of the elections, OSHA's funding will
probably be cut again, there will be new attempts to repeal Davis-Bacon
prevailing wage laws and it WILL be just a bit harder than it already was to
press progressive issues, not to even mention health care reform.  These ARE
issues that deeply affect workers, whether there are any labor supporters in
Congress or not.
        I agree, there is not much of a difference between Democrats and
Republicans and that if anything, this will help Democrats in purging the
Dixiecrats and revitalizing the party.  My question is just, which way are we
headed, and what do we do now?  And further, you may all be jaded on the issue,
but I think it is important to continue to get younger progressives  involved
with at least talking about political processes.
        What can URPE or progressive economists do when we are fighting about how
"radical" we really want to be?  Can't we find common ground?   Speak for
yourselves, but I like to think that am doing something as well as talking about
it ... what is so wrong with that?!!   Why put dampers on our political
curiosity?
                                        In solidarity,
                                        Heather Grob
                                        Center to Protect Workers Rights