<< I think that the problem for many (some?) (one?) of us is that we
 tend to view Yahoo not as a private firm but as a creator and
 maintainer of public space in which _Areopagitica_ should rule. Thus
 "abusive... vulgar, obscene... invasive of another's privacy,
 hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable" has no
 rightful place in Yahoo's terms of service (although the "unlawful,
 harmful, threatening... tortious, defamatory... libelous" does). >>

Why not? I mean, why can't Yahoo set any terms it likes, including _only_
promoting abuse (we'd do well there), vulgarity, etc. (Btw. "obscene" is
legally unprotected speech, in the same class as libelous, if you want to be
legalsitic about it.)  If Yahoo wants to be the Hatenet provider, that is its
business, but since it has said it won't be, why not hold it to that? --jks

--jks