While I agree with Louis' critique of Rorty I don't see any evidence given that
the AFL-CIO supports Rorty's position. Rorty's logic would lead to means
testing but in itself I don't see how it implies anything one way or the other
about privatisation. Does the AFL-CIO support privatisation?
    There are many advantages of having a universal non-means-tested system. It
avoids all the inequities and bureaucratic expenses of means-testing. It is
remarkable that right-wingers are so concerned about bureaucracy, its
inhumanity, expense, and  inefficiency but then feel quite comfortable with
recommending means-tested systems. Another huge advantage of a  universal
system is that the better off receive benefits from it and hence are more
likely to take an interest in seeing that it works. If the rich are not part of
the system they are not at all interested in whether it provides decent
benefits for those less well off.
    These points apply even more to a unversal health care system. In the US
medi-care for the poor will always be underfunded because it is no skin off the
ass of the well to do if the poor do not get proper care. If they were under
the same umbrella their attitude would suddenly become much more progressive!
    Let Rorty donate his extra money to a charity of his choice. Let him even
get a tax receipt for it.
But then increase the progressive rates on income etc.
   Cheers, Ken Hanly