I guess I sort of split the difference with Lou & Max on this. It's
nice, as Max said, to see someone talking about inequality on the
op-ed page of the NYT; it's virtually disappeared as a political
issue (probably because liberals were happy to condemn it when they
could blame it on Reagan and Bush, but they don't want to dis the Dem
at 1600 now, even though the gini has risen under Clinton). But
Rorty's argument is a spurious redistributionism that give aid and
comfort to the means testers. It's like the taxation of Social
Security benefits - it sounds nice, but it's right up Pete Peterson's
alley, lubrication for turning SS into a welfare program. There are
very few geezers with $100k+ incomes, so Rorty's scheme would have
little economic effect. But the political effect would be pretty bad.

Doug