Max wrote:

Tabb and others are troubled by the anti-communist overtones
of the China/WTO campaign and find it unpleasant to look at
the real state of labor and human rights in China.  We seem
stuck in the old trap of apologizing for transgressions of
really-existing communism in
the belief or hope that there is some suitable recompense
in improved living standards for the peasants and working
class.

Max,
I'm glad to hear that we agree that the Tabb article adds something
valuable to the debate on China trade policy, even if we don't agree  on
what that policy should be. I would respond to your argument above with
the following note. People like myself, David Bacon, Doug, Carrol, Tabb
and others, have not been short on criticism of Chinese labor policy. This
frustrates the hell out of those who think the only way to talk about
China is to repeat official Party dogma. Surely you've seen Doug and me
criticized on this list (and other lists) for insisting that talking
accurately about the state of labor in China. I have even summarized in
the past the valuable work of Raymond Lau, an HK Marxist whose articles on
labor have been quite far from official CCP positions.

By relying on Helmsian ideologues like Harry Wu, it is the AFL-CIO that
has chosen to not address reality as it presents itself to workers in
China today.

Steve

Stephen Philion
Lecturer/PhD Candidate